Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix on Intel based iMac

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix on Intel based iMac

    Sorry if this has been asked, searching the forums I could only find extremely outdated topics.

    Last night I was watching the news, and got bored during the commercials. I thought to myself "Hmm, I wonder if my Knoppix DVD will load on this iMac." Frankly, I had little doubt that it would, but I have heard a lot of stuff over the years about hacks to get the Macs to boot other OSes. So, I stuck it in, and held down the C key. It actually booted just fine to the Knoppix boot screen, and needless to say I was excited. That faded fast though as soon as KDE loaded. The drivers it had chosen for the monitor caused a horrible flickering, making the screen look like it was being broadcast over rabbit ears. I can't even explain how horrible the second monitor connection hooked up to my HDTV looked. Also, not too surprisingly, I couldn't get the wifi to work, but then again, I've never tried to use wifi on Knoppix.

    I used Knoppix Live DVD 5.31

    Anyone know of a modified version of Knoppix that anyone has done to include drivers needed for Intel based Macs? Or maybe you can point me in the right direction. It would be really cool to use one Live DVD to repair both the newest Macs and PC's.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Hi find out what native resolution your mac uses.

    Then boot with the knoppix DVD. At the boot prompt press F2 and F3 to see all cheat codes.
    I think it will work with correct screen parameters try

    knoppix screen=800x600

    (or whatever your mac uses)

    At the desktop, you should be able to see your mac hard drive, if not open a terminal
    and type (as su)
    modprobe hfsplus

    This module should allow knoppix to read the mac file system. Bot sure of write support,
    you may have to google this.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix on a Intel based Mac
    By Bombaybruce in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 03:27 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:57 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 05:25 PM
  4. Web-based ICQ (ICQ2GO - Jawa based) with Knoppix
    By pilovis in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 03:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU

$99.99



Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields. picture

Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields.

$159.00



Intel Core i7-11700K 3.60GHz 11th Gen CPU Processor MPN SRKNL X239G085 picture

Intel Core i7-11700K 3.60GHz 11th Gen CPU Processor MPN SRKNL X239G085

$140.00