Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Linux Header Files for Knoppix 5.3

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8

    Linux Header Files for Knoppix 5.3

    Hello,

    I'm trying to remaster the 5.3 DVD with various applications and I'm having trouble installing the Cisco VPN client. It requires the Linux header files, unfortunately, the 5.3 DVD I downloaded does not seem to include them. The 5.11 DVD, on the other hand, included them. Is there something I'm missing here?

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8
    Bump: does anyone know if there's a way to do this without the header files? I mean, it appears that the full kernel source code is there. I just don't know how to use it in place of the headers. Sorry for my ignorance.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Bump: does anyone know if there's a way to do this without the header files? I mean, it appears that the full kernel source code is there. I just don't know how to use it in place of the headers. Sorry for my ignorance.
    Knoppix uses a standard kernel so just download the kernel source from kernel.org and decompress it in /usr/src/Linux-2.6.xx make sure you set a symlink called linux pointing to /usr/src/linux-2.6.xx and you should be able to recompile the kernel.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8

    Knoppix Header files - Solved

    I tried to post what I thought would be a very useful set of steps for someone who wanted to regenerate the linux kernel header files for 5.3 but I was stopped by the filter; something about there being spam in my post and an unauthorized term. Not sure what that's all about about, but if someone is interested in the solution they can email me at [email protected]

    Barry

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix Header files - Solved

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    ... but I was stopped by the filter; something about there being spam ....
    Sorry about that. We occasionally do see a false positive. I'll send you a private message about the details and suggest some work-arounds.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8

    Full Post

    Here's the full post.

    I just wanted to share my success with the rest of you. I was able to successfully create the kernel header files from the kernel source and install the Cisco VPN client on a customized LiveCD of Knoppix version 5.3. I took the 4gb DVD and after an arduous process of uninstalling/purging/removing software I now have a working LiveCD of Knoppix 5.3 that is just over 400mb!

    Here's the process I used to install the Cisco VPN client. Hopefully someone else who needs to recreate the kernel header files to install something (a driver, etc.) on Knoppix 5.3 will find this useful:

    NOTE: all these steps are done within the CHROOT environment. Do an "apt-get update" before you install anything.

    1. Install linux-headers and build-essential.

    If you don't have access to the headers for your kernel version, follow the instructions at this web page to generate them from the kernel source. http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_com...on_debian_etch

    NOTE: You don't need to include the kernel_image option on the make-kpkg command line; just the kernel_headers option.

    2. Check to see if you have an EXTRAVERSION mis-match. Compare:

    uname -r

    to the value in the /usr/src/Makefile for EXTRAVERSION.

    If they don't match, change the value of EXTRAVERSION in the Makefile file so it matches.


    3. In the /usr/src/linux sub-directory run these commands:

    make clean
    make oldconfig
    make modules_prepare
    make prepare

    This web site was helpful: http:// aivipi.blog spot.com/2008/09/installing-cisco-vpn-on-mandriva-2008.html

    4. Extract the Cisco vpnclient tar file to tmp.

    5. The rest of the steps are standard for the Cisco vpnclient

    6. Before you exit the CHROOT environment to recompress the distro, start and stop the vpnclient a couple of times:

    /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start
    /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init stop
    /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start

    You can also uninstall build-essential and the linux-headers at this point. To really get the size of the ISO down you can delete everything in the /usr/src directory (save off a copy of the linux-headers.deb file you created in step 1 first!!).

    Enjoy!

Similar Threads

  1. could not find linux kernel header file for version 19
    By dtzxdtzx1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 08:28 AM
  2. KDE header files???
    By ku637 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 07:05 PM
  3. where can i get header files for knoppix runnign kernel
    By paradigm_shift in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2005, 11:22 AM
  4. Knoppix 3.8.1 HDD Install - Where are the Linux source files
    By Ranger24 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 03:26 PM
  5. Knoppix-3.4 and kernel-header-version?
    By Ish Rattan in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 02:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$49.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5" SATA SSD MZ-7KE512 MZ7KE512

$65.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00