I used this yesterday http://clonezilla.org/
It creates a bootable cd so the system has full access to the HD.
![]()
Hi All,
I'm new here and I hope I started off correctly by posting this in the right area and not re-posting something similar.
Basically I just need to boot Linux off of a CDROM first and later probably a USB flash drive and have it automatically run (dd) to re-image the system's HDD. I will need to put the 512MB image on the bootable media also to image from.
I write kernel drivers but this booting Linux from a CD is new to me and I just need someone to help push me in the right direction on how to created a simple bootable CDROM and USB flash disk to only run (dd). The only devices that I care about are an EHCI USB root hub and it's devices and the compact flash device that shows up as /dev/sda and of the course the USB CDROM. Other than that, Linux can be a stripped down distro.
Any help to get me pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
AM
I used this yesterday http://clonezilla.org/
It creates a bootable cd so the system has full access to the HD.
![]()
Once you've booted from Knoppix (follow the USB instructions, if I remember correctly you can find them on the documentation page and there is probably more info on this forum if you do a search)
Then open a term window. You can right click on the device that has the image you wish to restore and the device you wish to restore it too. Look for the mount point, something like /media/sda
Then your best bet is probably to dd the old image to the new drive. Just reverse the syntax you used to make the copy. Try it on a non-essential machine first. Haven't actually tried this myself. I've pulled lots of DD images off machines before. Mostly for forensics purposes or to salvage whatever I could off a dying drive. Never actually tried to push a DD image back onto a had drive.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder
$3.99
P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N
$1100.00
2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17
$3.35
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Lot of 6, 32GB PC4, DDR4-2666V|3200A RAM Samsung, Edge, Sk-hynix Mix (Tested)
$950.00
Lot of (10) (10*16Gb) mixed brands DDR4 Memory PC4-3200AA2666V
$599.00
RAM Memory Lot 8GB 16GB DDR4 Mixed Speeds Tested & Working
$1470.00
128 GB MICRON (4x32gb) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y DDR4 SERVER MEMORY MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2
$750.00
Apple iPad Mini 5 64GB, Wi-Fi, 7.9"
$69.00