Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Need to just boot Linux from CD to run dd to re-image HDD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Raleigh/Durham (RTP) NC (USA)
    Posts
    1

    Need to just boot Linux from CD to run dd to re-image HDD

    Hi All,

    I'm new here and I hope I started off correctly by posting this in the right area and not re-posting something similar.

    Basically I just need to boot Linux off of a CDROM first and later probably a USB flash drive and have it automatically run (dd) to re-image the system's HDD. I will need to put the 512MB image on the bootable media also to image from.

    I write kernel drivers but this booting Linux from a CD is new to me and I just need someone to help push me in the right direction on how to created a simple bootable CDROM and USB flash disk to only run (dd). The only devices that I care about are an EHCI USB root hub and it's devices and the compact flash device that shows up as /dev/sda and of the course the USB CDROM. Other than that, Linux can be a stripped down distro.

    Any help to get me pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    AM

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7

    re Need to just boot Linux from CD to run dd to re-image HDD

    I used this yesterday http://clonezilla.org/
    It creates a bootable cd so the system has full access to the HD.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2
    Once you've booted from Knoppix (follow the USB instructions, if I remember correctly you can find them on the documentation page and there is probably more info on this forum if you do a search)

    Then open a term window. You can right click on the device that has the image you wish to restore and the device you wish to restore it too. Look for the mount point, something like /media/sda

    Then your best bet is probably to dd the old image to the new drive. Just reverse the syntax you used to make the copy. Try it on a non-essential machine first. Haven't actually tried this myself. I've pulled lots of DD images off machines before. Mostly for forensics purposes or to salvage whatever I could off a dying drive. Never actually tried to push a DD image back onto a had drive.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 08:36 AM
  2. Can't find kernel image: linux
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 12:01 AM
  3. 1GB pen drive w/knoppix image boots but cant start linux...
    By ScottP in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 07:03 PM
  4. could not find kernel image: linux
    By aykuty in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 07:16 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99