Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: remote login to knoppix DVD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1

    remote login to knoppix DVD

    Is it possible to remotely login to a knoppix live DVD?

    I want to be able to pop in a knoppix live DVD on a desktop PC and control it from another PC over either a LAN or the internet.

    I wanted to make sure that it's possible before I tell someone to go out and download a 4 GB ISO image.

    Basically I have a co-worker who's PC has crashed and he's on the other side of the world. I was thinking of having him use a live DVD and have me login remotely from my own PC at home. This also insures that I know what is currently running and don't have to deal with the firewalls, configurations etc. that he has on his PC.

    Any instructions/links would be appreciated.

    Also I can't seem to find a detailed list of installed software on knoppix...does anyone know where I can find one?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: remote login to knoppix DVD

    Quote Originally Posted by chaoswings
    Is it possible to remotely login to a knoppix live DVD?

    I want to be able to pop in a knoppix live DVD on a desktop PC and control it from another PC over either a LAN or the internet.
    Answer in short, yes, you can remotely logon to a remote knoppix machine. You can at least have a text base connection via ssh for sure if both of your machines are in your company's WAN and can talk to each other.

    I wanted to make sure that it's possible before I tell someone to go out and download a 4 GB ISO image.
    I would recommend using knoppix 5.1.1 CD version for rescue only. 700M only.

    Basically I have a co-worker who's PC has crashed and he's on the other side of the world. I was thinking of having him use a live DVD and have me login remotely from my own PC at home. This also insures that I know what is currently running and don't have to deal with the firewalls, configurations etc. that he has on his PC.
    Don't really understand what you are talking about here. Can you tell us what is your expectation on knoppix and what is your plan once you have the connection.

    The difficulty I can foresee is not on the knoppix side, it will be on how you can open up the firewalls of your company's network. Or how to set up a channel from your home to your co-worker's pc.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: remote login to knoppix DVD

    Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
    ...The difficulty I can foresee is not on the knoppix side, it will be on how you can open up the firewalls of your company's network. Or how to set up a channel from your home to your co-worker's pc....
    Or in trying to make any changes to a NTFS partition, which Knoppix will not write to safely
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Remote Display Setup - Knoppix
    By johnj123 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 12:02 PM
  2. Remote Desktop from Windows to Knoppix?
    By HisHighness in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 03:30 AM
  3. 3.4 remote login?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 03:17 PM
  4. Remote login to Linux
    By NBCthreat in forum General Support
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 09:18 AM
  5. KNOPPIX installation from a remote machine
    By yunierkis in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 06:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5" SATA SSD MZ-7KE512 MZ7KE512

$65.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00