Hello. I downloaded the latest version of Knoppix (running from DVD) on my ~2 year old Gateway laptop. The OS and SW work fine, but I can't establish a wireless networking connection. After reading through the message boards and getting some ideas, I tried the following:
Start 'Terminal'
Knoppix@knoppix: ~$: wlcardconfig
(wireless configuration dialog box appears)
Mode: Managed
ESSID: (I entered the SSID for my router)
WEP key: (I entered the WEP key)
WPA/WPA2 parameters (I didn't change anything here (I'm using WEP 802.11b)
IP: Set/Connect..."eth0 Network Device...Obtain Address Automatically? (I clicked 'Yes')
(wait for a few seconds)
(then it returns with a dialog box with a bunch of IP/network/gateway...blah blah numbers)(I think it successfully received it's info from the router)
(then I close out of that, and try to open 'google.com' or something with the browser...nothing!)
The modem is a USB 802.11g Airlink Model AWLL3026. As mentioned above, it appears to be powered up and recognized, but no connection.
Obviously, I don't really know what I'm doing. Any and all help from the experts out there would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT
$129.95
SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99
Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro
$79.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00
Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95
Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00
DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$199.99