Hello. I downloaded the latest version of Knoppix (running from DVD) on my ~2 year old Gateway laptop. The OS and SW work fine, but I can't establish a wireless networking connection. After reading through the message boards and getting some ideas, I tried the following:
Start 'Terminal'
Knoppix@knoppix: ~$: wlcardconfig
(wireless configuration dialog box appears)
Mode: Managed
ESSID: (I entered the SSID for my router)
WEP key: (I entered the WEP key)
WPA/WPA2 parameters (I didn't change anything here (I'm using WEP 802.11b)
IP: Set/Connect..."eth0 Network Device...Obtain Address Automatically? (I clicked 'Yes')
(wait for a few seconds)
(then it returns with a dialog box with a bunch of IP/network/gateway...blah blah numbers)(I think it successfully received it's info from the router)
(then I close out of that, and try to open 'google.com' or something with the browser...nothing!)
The modem is a USB 802.11g Airlink Model AWLL3026. As mentioned above, it appears to be powered up and recognized, but no connection.
Obviously, I don't really know what I'm doing. Any and all help from the experts out there would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (8 X 2) (Black) - 2 Sticks
$60.00
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00
Micron and SK hynix RAM 56GB (4x8GB) (2x4GB) see description
$135.00