-
difficulty with remastering knoppix
Hello all...
I am new to the forums. I have come here because I am starting to drive myself mental in my attempts to remaster knoppix.
I am to create a remastered live cd of knoppix.
I want to change the default windows manager to fluxbox.
I have successful done this (I think so anyways)
I have a custom menu and a custom style and background that I would like to use.
I have copied everything necessary to do this to the /etc/skel file, as well I have changed the files in the /etc/X11/fluxbox to reflex my custom setup.
I also changed the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to make sure it boots fluxbox by default
So far I have been successful in getting it to work (well sort of, i actually haven't been able to test it 100%)
The problem that i am having is that when I add the .fluxbox directory to the /home/knoppix directory and go into fluxbox (from the livecd) my custom style shows up but for some reason my background won't show up unless I issue the command:
Code:
fbsetbg -f ~/.fluxbox/backgrounds/smile_joker.jpg
I have installed feh and it is working but still for some reason my background just isn't loading and I can't figure out why. It loads though if i do it manually and all the transparency settings work like a charm
The other thing that I find really weird. If I create a new user with the 'useradd -m <whatever>' command. When I log into the users account, the custom theme shows up but for some reason the .bashrc file is completely ignored and I am given a prompt of: 'sh-3.1$'
It doesn't matter what files I change I can't seem to edit my prompt 
It will not read the .bashrc file at all and for some reason the prompt starts at /UNIONFS/root and NOT the users /home directory
Creating new users isn't essential for this livecd because it will only be a live cd and nothing more. But I wanted to test if what I have done so far is working.. and it seems like it is only half working 
My fear is that with this testing. When I boot up my remastered knoppix CD and the /home/knoppix/ (the default user) user is created and fluxbox is booted, the environment will not reflect the changes that I have made.
If anyone could help shed some light on changing knoppix over to running fluxbox by default with a custom setup that would be amazing.
I have checked through the forums and as of yet I have not been able to come across the answers I need, or the answers are very vague.
Any help would greatly be appreciated
thank you in advance
cheers
todd
-
Bummer... failure big time 
Code:
Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.
After burning the image to a CD and booting the remastered knoppix I get this error.
My custom boot screen image showed up, and the hardware detection get to detecting the CD-ROM drive and then after that I get this error message..
I am totally at a lose as to what is causing this. Can anyone please help point me in the direction of what might have caused this?
I would be so grateful for any help anyone can give me
thank you in advance
cheers
todd
-
So I have been doing a little poking around about this problem both in these forums and on other forums. It seems that there might be an issue with the directory structure for isolinux directory?
Code:
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
-hide-rr-moved -o /media/sda7/knx/knoppix.iso /media/sda7/knx/master
This is the command I used to create the final ISO image. From what I have there is a possibility that under the current directory structure of '/media/sda7/knx/master/boot/isolinux' i should try '/media/sda7/knx/master/isolinux'. Is this an option that I can try? I don't know if it will fix it but at this point I am willing to try just about anything.
I guess I should also mention that I am remastering the most recent version of knoppix. During the compression of the ISO everything went smoothly and I had no error at all
any help would greatly be appreciated
cheers
todd
-
Senior Member
registered user
I had a similar problem with menu items in KDE, think the problem is in that remastering knoppix not all changes are copied back to /etc/skel from the
chroot environment.
This link should help:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28305
Use the rsync command to sync changes and let us know if it works.
-
try to create and put a file called "45Xsession" in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ directory
and inside that file you put
==================================
#!/bin/bash
# this is your background..
fbsetbg -f ~/.fluxbox/backgrounds/smile_joker.jpg
# you can also put all the personalized setting commands here.
==================================
note, in that file, if you call a program, let's say firefox
"/usr/bin/firefox" and "/usr/bin/firefox &"
makes the different!! have a try.
-------------------------
cd can't boot can be a lot of reasons, can you try run a md5 check sum on your burnt CD?
try to double check with that before you boot your CDs.
------------------------
the command you used...
Code:
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
-hide-rr-moved -o /media/sda7/knx/knoppix.iso /media/sda7/knx/master
mmm......... it seems ok.
but this is what i usually do.
Code:
cd /media/sda7/knx/master
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
-hide-rr-moved -o /media/sda7/knx/knoppix.iso .
and yes there is a dot at the end of this command.
for more info see.
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...mpressed_Image
Winson
Similar Threads
-
By ginestre in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-17-2006, 07:36 PM
-
By jwally in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-13-2005, 10:36 AM
-
By lewisp in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-22-2005, 02:22 PM
-
By db in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 11:45 AM
-
By dfloyd4 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-16-2003, 02:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)
$39.00

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95