Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Autostarting my Wireless connection

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1

    Autostarting my Wireless connection

    OK, I'm not a complete newbie to Linux. I have used other distros and have gotten tired of having a really great system one day, doing an upgrade and having to reconfigure everything over again. So as not to totally hose up my Toshiba Satellite A135 laptop, I decided to go with knoppix on a Sandisk MicroCruzer 8gb thumbdrive. It is all running and my persistent home directory seems to be working but one thing I'm not finding is how to automagically get my wireless connection to start when I boot up in to knoppix. The wireless works great but everytime I boot up I have to activate it by going into the Network setup or check.

    I am not familiar with writing executable scripts for the Autostart in KDE so if that is the suggestion I will need a tutorial on how to write one and make it executable.

    If anyone can or will help I would greatly appreciate it.

    On a side note I would like to say that I think Knoppix is the king of live distros. This distro has been the easiest to set up and get operating quickly. I could seriously use this as my mainstream OS. But I'll hold that until I have to upgrade.

    Thanks for any and all help anyone can offer.

    Regards,
    Tom

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Autostarting my Wireless connection

    Tom,

    Modify the knoppix.sh on your USB thumb drive.

    Take a look at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

    Start from FAQ 2, I describe my testing result on how to use ndiswrapper to get wireless to work on 5.1.1.

    Check out FAQ 4 and ignore all the ndiswrapper code. Start from the setup ESSID code is what you need.

    After you modified the knoppix.sh, save it, then boot knoppix using the cheat code "knoppix myconfg=scan"

    Rgds,
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. autostarting apps after x starts
    By z3rgl1ng in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 12:08 PM
  2. WIRELESS USB CONNECTION
    By mimi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2005, 03:24 PM
  3. Wireless Connection
    By drakkar in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 12:39 PM
  4. How can i setup my wireless connection with wep?
    By PrOmETeO in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 07:44 PM
  5. Swap not autostarting using LiveCD
    By pau1knopp in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 02:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105 picture

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105

$19.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99