Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Wlan with static ip

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    24

    Wlan with static ip

    The main reason I use knoppix is becuase my wifi card doesn't seem to work with any other distro (including debian stable) but I would like to be able to set the comp to a static ip on our network. I am the admin essentially so I have access to the router and can assign any ip from on our subnet from .5 to .99 Also I know the default getway, dns servers, netmask, etc. Right now the wifi is using dhcp, its a wmp11 linksys card which I believe is prism 2, how can I turn of DHCP and set a static ip?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Have you tried netcardconfig?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    24

    netcardconfig scares me

    I haven't tried any of the auto card config tools as I am scared they will break the wlan setup which has been super fickle. I'm assuming that the info I want is stored in a text file somewhere and I prefer to simply enter the settings in there. Problem is I don't know which file is associated with the card, I thought it was /etc/pci/wireless.opts but didn't seem to be the right place.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Wlan with static ip

    Quote Originally Posted by kaplanfx
    The main reason I use knoppix is becuase my wifi card doesn't seem to work with any other distro (including debian stable) but I would like to be able to set the comp to a static ip on our network. I am the admin essentially so I have access to the router and can assign any ip from on our subnet from .5 to .99 Also I know the default getway, dns servers, netmask, etc. Right now the wifi is using dhcp, its a wmp11 linksys card which I believe is prism 2, how can I turn of DHCP and set a static ip?
    This post may help. It is setup for dhcp all you should have to do is change it to static and enter you network settings along with the other information required.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    24

    Thanks

    Thanks Stephen, is this your site? I see your posts everywhere. If it is, great site.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by kaplanfx
    Thanks Stephen, is this your site? I see your posts everywhere. If it is, great site.
    Eadz runs the site but there's a few of us that help answering what we can.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 03:11 AM
  2. Static IP Help
    By hoy_128 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2004, 03:37 AM
  3. Static IP address
    By jdally in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 08:35 PM
  4. Static IPs?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 12:18 AM
  5. Static IP is not static!
    By beecee in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health

$187.00



KingFast F10 256GB 2.5” SATA III SSD Tested Working 2710DCS23BF-256  picture

KingFast F10 256GB 2.5” SATA III SSD Tested Working 2710DCS23BF-256

$22.89



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00