Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Kwlan Problems after going to another wifi spot

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    36

    Kwlan Problems after going to another wifi spot

    I get Kwlan was unable to configure wlan interface using iwconfig and Kwlan was unable to Release IP address after I go from one WiFi spot to another. Kwifi starts up at home when I boot my laptop, but does not connect after I get to another wifi spot. The laptop has not been shutdown while in transit. It does not help to turn off Kwifi and start it up again. Kwifi will work if I reboot the laptop.

    Maybe I need to know how to release the IP address from the command line?

    Dell Latitude CPi 400 MHz PII 256 MB RAM running Knoppix 5.1.1

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Kwlan Problems after going to another wifi spot

    Quote Originally Posted by borgward
    I get Kwlan was unable to configure wlan interface using iwconfig and Kwlan was unable to Release IP address after I go from one WiFi spot to another. Kwifi starts up at home when I boot my laptop, but does not connect after I get to another wifi spot. The laptop has not been shutdown while in transit. It does not help to turn off Kwifi and start it up again. Kwifi will work if I reboot the laptop.

    Maybe I need to know how to release the IP address from the command line?

    Dell Latitude CPi 400 MHz PII 256 MB RAM running Knoppix 5.1.1
    Don't know what Kwlan does behind the scene, if it translates back to iwconfig command, then it is normal that it cannot reset IP address. iwconfig only deal with wireless setting, i.e. ESSID, channel etc

    In order to switch between IP address, you need to use the ifconfig command with the combination of the pump command.

    There should be a couple ways iin command line to achieve what you are trying to do. I just give one example anyway. All I'm showing here is a complete clean way to have the job done.

    All the steps I mentioned here is command line so you need to type the command in the konsole.

    Your wireless device name maybe eth1, eth2 or wlan0. But I use wlan0 for the example below.

    1. Stop the wireless device so as to release the IP address from the old wireless network.

    Code:
    $ sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    2. You can check the network device no longer exist by

    Code:
    $ ifconfig
    3. Now restart the wireless network device

    Code:
    $sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    4. Force the dhcp from the new wireless environment to generate an IP address to the wlan0 device

    Code:
    $sudo pump -i wlan0
    Now your machine should have a new IP address from the new wireless dhcp. You can check the new IP address by issuing the ifconfig command.

    Rgds,
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. kwifi vs kwlan: how to?
    By frank ross2 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 12:58 AM
  2. kwlan and wpa_supplicant
    By nnigam in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
  3. Knoppix won't work :( freezes at one spot
    By Arrowx7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 10:43 PM
  4. Problems with RTT2500 Wifi/ Knoppix 3.8
    By ecspike in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 07:28 AM
  5. Problems with Belkin WiFi
    By iD:0t in forum Networking
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 07:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99