It's in kdeglobals. Open it and search for 'trash'. You'll find:
[Paths]
Trash=[$e]=$HOME/Desktop/Trash
Delete these lines and voila! The trash icon is removed.
Barry
Does anyone know where the logic is that creates the trashcan.desktop icon on the Desktop? It's automatically created on the desktop in Knoppix 5.3 but I'm trying to get rid of it. It seems all the posts on the net have to do with CREATING the trash can icon but I want to GET RID of it. I had this problem with 5.1 and finally just put a startup script in rc5.d that deleted it. That's a very goofy solution so I was hoping to get to the source of the issue and solve it once for all.
Any help would be appreciated.
Barry
It's in kdeglobals. Open it and search for 'trash'. You'll find:
[Paths]
Trash=[$e]=$HOME/Desktop/Trash
Delete these lines and voila! The trash icon is removed.
Barry
Unfortunately, I spoke too soon; that did not resolve it. Apparently, the Knoppix version of KDE really wants (badly) to put a trash can icon on the desktop and there's not a way (that I've found) to remove it other than putting a command file in Autostart to delete it. This is quite inelegant as the trash can icon appears and then disappears as the startup process progresses.
If anyone has any other ideas, please share.
Barry
Perhaps not the answer you're looking for, but why not use a different desktop to kde, gnome or xfce?

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99