Looks as though your NIC uses the e1000 kernel module.
Open the terminal then type:
su
then post the output of the follwoing commands please:
ifconfig
dmesg | grep eth
I have a dell Optiplex 755, with a intel 82566DM 2gig network card, but I cannot connect in knoppix. I am using V5.1.0. Every time I try to configure the card, I get an error stating that there is no card detected. I know I have one. I can connect in windows XP safemode to the iinternet. I am wondering why I cannot connect in Knoppix. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I am brand-spanking new to KNOPPIX, so detailed instructions would be great. I, however, am not a newbie to windows. I am very literate in XP. Thanks.
Looks as though your NIC uses the e1000 kernel module.
Open the terminal then type:
su
then post the output of the follwoing commands please:
ifconfig
dmesg | grep eth
Can u give me a step-by-step procedure? What isa "terminal"? Sorry to sound so dumb, but this si my first time on Knoppix. Thanks Again.
a terminal is a "dos prompt" or, command prompt, it can also be called commandline, terminal, xterm, aterm, cli... it is a place where you can give the computer commands via text input.
just click on an icon that looks like a blank monitor, type the commands he gave and give the output here.
I will give a step by step on first command then just give what you should type, enter at end of each command by the way and the "(space)" is NOT to be typed, it is just to indicate a space in the text.
Code:sudo (space) suCode:lsmod | grep (space) e1000the | before grep is NOT minor L or capital i, but what you get with US layout (and Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian) when you hold alt key and press the < key, it is called pipe.Code:dmesg | grep (space) eth
if you get a line with e1000 with the first command proceed to the next, if not, ask what next.
then you typewhat did you get?Code:ifconfig
if you got a line with something like
you are close, put all output here and we will try helping further.[/code]inet addr:192.168....
I cannot copy and paste the text to any application as it wont let me, so I am going to write it out here.
lo link encap: local loopback
inet addr: 127.0.01 mask: 255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 scope: host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 metric:1
RX packets: 12 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
TX packets: 12 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier: 0
collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 0
rx bytes: 600 (600.0b) TX bytes: 600 (600.0 b)
OK, try the command
then tryCode:sudo modprobe e1000
againCode:dmesg | grep (space) eth
if you get a new line AND get adress automaically in Windows try
otherwise ask here againCode:sudo (spcae) pump (space) -i (space) eth0
cant do anything tryd to get program synaptic says su wrong or something an in my words im tellin not shure what i did wrong i set my user name an user pass then root pass an i an i know them both but i cant do anything help pls o an i cant get on the inter net on wireless i was able to apt-get b43-fwcutter an its on so i should be ok i got a linksysg an thats what it needs but i cant get on an the stuff in here wont let me set the card an im soooooo lost help plz...

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00
WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND 2.5” SATA III SSD
$40.00