-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
felmon
..... and I definitely agree with the fellow who likes having a lot of software already installed - I would rather de-install stuff than go out and install and fall into difficulties....
One big problem here is that uninstalling things, and particularly installing anything else, even something seemingly innocent, can seriously break Knoppix. Knoppix is a mix of different versions of Debian, carefully tested to pretty much work OK off the CD, but often problems are seen when it is put on a hard drive and very often problems are see if one tries to install anything additional at all or even just update the software that is already there. With Debian you can very easily apt-get install anything and everything that you want, stuff included on Knoppix and a lot that isn't, don't have to take all of the stuff on Knoppix that you will never use, and you end up with a much more stable system.
I understand and I have to bow to your deeper and longer experience. it all makes sense.
I am slowly accommodating to Debian. for instance, just a moment ago, I got mplayer to install correctly! now xmms still resists my entreaties. making progress though.
P.S.: I just got xmms installed the way I wanted after stumbling across a site where the fellow remarks, "It seems quite a few seem to be requesting the good old X MultiMedia System after it disappeared from Debian and Ubuntu." exactly! (I had no idea, of course, that the good ole xmms had 'disappeared'.) the new stuff is really too 'gui' for me, both too 'clicky' and at the same time too opaque.
when I get some time, I will install OpenSuSE 11.1 on the rest of the hard-drive. (having a whole hard-drive to play with is like getting a completely new computer!) I can then see if I end up working in SuSE after all. will probably continue using Debian(/Knoppix) on my old desktop.
there are real differences which make a difference but perhaps the main factor is being an old dog set in his ways.
Felmon
Similar Threads
-
By matt houston in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-05-2007, 04:19 PM
-
By cold in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-02-2004, 07:29 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 04-25-2004, 03:40 PM
-
By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-08-2004, 05:13 AM
-
By rushworld in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 10-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$449.99

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69