Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: No bootprompt

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by RossBoylan
    I see a file system.
    That is good.

    Quote Originally Posted by RossBoylan
    I think you are saying that a disc burned at low speed may work when one at higher speeds fails, even if both appear to be bit-identical. Am I understanding you correctly?
    Yes.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Posts
    8
    I tried inserting the Windows NT (4) CD and it did not boot. So I think the computer just isn't booting off of CD.

    I also tried burning at lower speed (x4 was the lowest option, which seems odd); it didn't help.

    I guess I need to make a boot floppy that will let me PXE boot.

    Thanks everyone for your help.

  3. #13
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by RossBoylan
    I tried inserting the Windows NT (4) CD and it did not boot. So I think the computer just isn't booting off of CD. ....

    I guess I need to make a boot floppy that will let me PXE boot.
    Well, it's old enough that there might be a CD booting issue. Is there an option in the BIOS to have the CD in the boot order? If not that's certainly a problem. If there is and it's enabled it still might be the issue, as some BOISes around this vintage just didn't get it quite right. One fix is to use a boot manager to boot the CD; I've done this on old systems that didn't even have the CD listed as a bootable device in the BIOS. Works good.

    I can suggest two choices, but the FAQ that I keep referring to gives them also, so I guess there is no point in duplicating that information here. I think this would be a far better way to get things going than to try to get PXE and a PXE server working.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    the cd boot option worked for only a limited set of CD's mainly recovery disks with proprietary file system and boot procedure... they where %&%/() unreliable even then.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    One fix is to use a boot manager to boot the CD; I've done this on old systems that didn't even have the CD listed as a bootable device in the BIOS. Works good.

    I can suggest two choices, but the FAQ that I keep referring to gives them also, so I guess there is no point in duplicating that information here. I think this would be a far better way to get things going than to try to get PXE and a PXE server working.
    You're right; that's easier. Unfortunately, I tried smart boot and still couldn't get it to boot off the CD. The CD was detected as hdc (I think), which isn't quite what the docs indicated would happen. I got a disk error when I tried to boot it. The atapi controller seems to use 2 pairs of ports; I tried each pair in turn (setting it explcitly), but no luck.

    I have got a diskette that does PXE booting on the machine; I still need to figure out what files to hand to it from the server to finish that boot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99