-
Windows XP Pro Knoppix recovery question
Running Windows XP Pro w SP3 I have a duo core intel 2.6 with 4 gb ram 2 WD 150 10,00RPMS Hard drives in RAID 0 with a 3rd 500gb for storage
I run 2 8800 Ultra GTX video cards in SLI. I updated the drivers to 180.48 from NVIDIAs Web site with my SLI disabled and the bridge removed.
Rebooted fine running the new drivers on one card. I then installed the 2nd card & bridge jumper and enabled SLI mode through nvidia control
panel. This was going fine until it said it would need to shut down some software to finish the installation. I hit ok and instant
CRASH to black screen.
No luck on reboot. Black screen. I Pulled one card out swapped sockets and cards one at a time nothing.
I could boot to the bios screen tapping F8 and even get to the safeboot boot screen holding DEL key and tried to boot to last known good configuration. I tried every option on that screen and still got black screen.
After some research I then booted to my CD Rom drive 1st and used my Windows XP Pro installation disk. To try to repair. The windows
Install CD is only showing the D drive which was my data drive. Which has none of the windows system files on it just storage stuff.. I was ble to swicth to the C: drive with the dos prompt but could get any further to see anything on the drive with any dos commands.
I then read up on Linux and Knoppix and created a LINUX 5.1.1 bootable CD and was able to "see" my hard drive partions. The Knoppix desktop showed Hard Disk nvidia_fdbijcig1 and Hard Drive sdc1 and can click on them and see all the files and folders. The nvidia one looks to be a complete set of all files and folders from my C: drive. And the sd1c has all the storage drive stuff.
I then went to media and saw these items cdrom fd0 hd hda hdb nvidia_fdbicig1 sdc1 test
Right clicking and checking properties they all all empty and 3.4mb in size with the exception of nvidia_fdbicg1 it is 279.5GB with 126.46 free same as my c: drive was. and sdc1 has 465GB with 452.7 free.
Not sure at where to go from here. I beleive I could get a exteranl drive hooked to muy USB and copy these files to at least save them...but I think I could be just a few steps away from maybe getting my computer to boot up using the 2 150GB 10,00RPM drives in RAID 0 again...
Any help greatly appreciated.
I dont know where to go from here but it appears that at a critical step in the update driver process NVIDIA's install process crapped
out and left me hanging with a C: drive that cant boot....
Any help greatly appreciated,,,
Similar Threads
-
By tmcphail in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 9
Last Post: 11-29-2007, 09:43 PM
-
By johnfila in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-14-2005, 05:46 PM
-
By irish_admiral in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-26-2005, 01:48 AM
-
By Aldago in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-17-2005, 05:14 PM
-
By eiilers in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-14-2004, 07:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage 1980s 1990s Lot of 175 Used PC Computer 5.25" Floppy Disks IBM
$175.00

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X1050 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games
$389.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage Compaq Contura 4/25c Laptop Computer With Power Adapter & Bag
$199.99

Vintage Toshiba Libretto 70CT Mini Notebook with Port Replicator and 32MB Memory
$320.00

Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector
$50.00

Vintage Kensington Turbo Mouse ADB Trackball Mac/Macintosh NOT TESTED
$23.00

Vintage Microsoft Office 1.0 Apple Macintosh 1989 Big Box Software Sealed
$399.99

Vintage Compaq Deskpro 286 AT PC Computer Complete w/Drives Powers On
$189.99

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99