Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Kwlan Reports no Radio

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    36

    Kwlan Reports no Radio

    I was at a coffee shop. I booted up two laptops. I connected w/Window laptop, but not W/Linux
    laptop. The laptops are identical Dell Latitude CPi PII. Knoppix 5.1.1 on one
    and XP on the other. Both work at home. They both connect automatically
    at home, using wireless. Both run Netgear PCMCIA wireless cards. The
    Linux lap has a Netgear MA401. I do not know which Netgear card is in
    the XP lap. Both are 802.11b. These PCi are pretty old, and did not come
    w/Wireless, MODEM, or Ethernet. I have to use a Netgear USB Ethernet
    adaptor if I want to connect to a Cat 5 cable.

    Kwlan reported :

    eth0 is disconnected (however though, it's indicator light was blinkingwhich I take to indicate that it was on, but not connected)

    The radio is off

    The scan results window comes up empty.

    On the windows machine, I clicked on the wireless icon and then clicked
    on "View wireless conections" then clicked on "The Coffee House" and
    then entered the access code they gave me.

    I guess the question is why did the windows machine see their signal,
    and the Linux machine not? Any thing I can ask them?

    Both machines connected automatically after I got home.

    I have had this problem at some other free WiFi spots.

    Any way to get connected? The people there are nice, but seem to be
    clueless. They set up their own wireless. They do not have anybody
    administrating their stuff..

    A few years ago I heard about some businesses offering free WiFi blocking out anybody not uisng Microsoft Windows. Has anybody hear of similar stories?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    PERTH
    Posts
    1

    Radio off

    I get the same result on my hp laptop when using knoppix 5.1. If i do a iwconfig in a console, it will say radio off. i have to physically turn the wifi switch on. Also, the laptop switches the wifi off when i close the lid...which is a bit of a pain...

Similar Threads

  1. Kwlan Problems after going to another wifi spot
    By borgward in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2008, 06:11 AM
  2. kwifi vs kwlan: how to?
    By frank ross2 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 12:58 AM
  3. Where to post bug reports?
    By johnsutton in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 01:53 PM
  4. kwlan and wpa_supplicant
    By nnigam in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 01:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00