Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to boot from USB Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2

    How to boot from USB Drive

    So I've read a lot of faqs out there, but every guide has different steps with installing Knoppix.

    1. What's the latest version of Knoppix?

    2. I already have a bootable USB I made through the HP tool. How can I start to boot Knoppix off the USB?

    Can I just install the Knoppix files on the USB?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Re: How to boot from USB Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by homefry
    So I've read a lot of faqs out there, but every guide has different steps with installing Knoppix.

    1. What's the latest version of Knoppix?

    2. I already have a bootable USB I made through the HP tool. How can I start to boot Knoppix off the USB?

    Can I just install the Knoppix files on the USB?

    1, Latest version of knoppix is 5.3.1
    2, No you cant use this method.

    The knoppix iso image has to be loaded by an appropriate boot loader,
    grub or lilo as explained in the USB howto:

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2
    I don't understand half what that faq said.

    This tutorial assumes that you are already running GNU/Linux (and has been tested on Debian).

    I'm not running any GNU/Linux.

    What is all this:

    # mke2fs -j /dev/sda1

    What program are they typing this into?

    -----------------------------------------------------------


    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-knoppix-510/

    Would this set of instructions work?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by homefry
    I don't understand half what that faq said.

    This tutorial assumes that you are already running GNU/Linux (and has been tested on Debian).

    I'm not running any GNU/Linux.

    What is all this:

    # mke2fs -j /dev/sda1

    What program are they typing this into?
    As a matter of fact, you have one. If you boot up the knoppix from cd, you have one Linux running as well. You have to type in the command through the console, or a terminal (or a DOS prompt, command prompt if you map it to the Windows world)

    Click on the black TV icon on your task bar at the bottom of your desktop will bring up the konsole. I think konsole is the german for console.


    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-knoppix-510/

    Would this set of instructions work?
    The above instructions assume your machine can directly boot from USB device. Only some motherboards' BIOS can work this way. All the machines I have cannot work this way.

    I end up using the following method to boot knoppix 5.1.1 from the usb drive:

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key

    It will make your USB drive to become a usb zip drive compatible device and boot up knoppix.

    I believe so far I only see knoppix 5.1.1 can be installed into the USB drive and have it bootable. Still waiting to see the successful case on 5.3.1. I saw some users are trying to make it work the other day on the forum.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    48

    booting knoppix-5.3.1 on usb stick

    I have not really tried on 8Gb stick ,since I only have 0.5 , 1Gb and 2Gb sticks . The following experiment has been successful :

    assume knoppix-dvd.iso mounted at /dvd/ ,stick mounted at /media/disk/ (formatted vfat ,made bootable just by syslinux )

    cp -a /dvd/boot /media/disk
    cp /media/disk/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg /media/disk/syslinux.cfg

    edit /media/disk/syslinux.cfg and replace every instance linux (minirt.gz) with /boot/isolinux/linux ( /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz)

    boot with usbstick it will look for the famous /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX in any root_partition of hdd or usb or dvd

    So either put in the dvd or cp the whole dvd-iso/KNOPPIX/ to any root_partition and you boot your knoppix-5.3.1 from usb which only has 512Mb size ! (16Mb should be sufficient )

    On all my sticks (2x 512M 3x 1Gb 1x 2Gb ) I am able to make them boot without any special software ;just using plain livecd ubuntu (any other livecd sloud be ok too )
    mkfs.vfat /dev/sdf
    syslinux /dev/sdf
    assuming /dev/sdf is where the hotplug recognised the stick !

Similar Threads

  1. Transfer From USB boot to hard drive boot.
    By FSL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM
  2. Boot iso on pen drive by grub installed on pen drive
    By jena in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 04:12 PM
  3. Boot without hard drive?
    By Scorpio123 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 08:26 PM
  4. Second drive kills boot?
    By ewangr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 05:58 PM
  5. Cannot boot KNOPPIX from Second CD/ROM drive
    By Robert Frommer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 01:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$100.00



Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)

$149.99



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$95.00



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C picture

VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C

$140.00



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC LR150-11 Power Supply 70-0464-01 Rev S Sun Shoebox Server PSU Used picture

Vintage DEC LR150-11 Power Supply 70-0464-01 Rev S Sun Shoebox Server PSU Used

$160.00