Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix hangs on boot with failed HD in the system

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix hangs on boot with failed HD in the system

    I am trying to pull the data off of a failed hard drive, and knoppix hangs during boot. I've tried booting with the "knoppix noudev nodma" command, and it gets a little further, but hangs when it tries to scan the partitions. I've also tried connecting the drive after knoppix is done booting (it's a SATA drive), and it starts to try to configure, but then hangs. Any help would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    You need to post some details about your system, motherboard, chipset, sata controller if known.

    The hard drive isnt causing the hang, knoppix will boot with no hard drive whatsoever. Heres a list
    of boot parameters, more commonly known as cheat codes:

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

    You dont state if any boot messages are being displayed, or the last message displayed on screen.
    You may be unlucky and knoppix may not recognise the hard drive controller.

    Be aware that knoppix 5.1.1 uses kernel 2.4.19 and knppix 5.3.1 DVD uses a more recent 2.6.24 kernel.
    Which version of knoppix are you using?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    try
    knoppix nodma noudev nofstab nomount noswap

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2
    Sorry, the holidays had me a bit busy...

    My motherboard is an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe, and I'm using the on-board SATA controller. If I unplug only the failed drive, it boots without issue, which leads me to believe that the issue doesn't involve the SATA controller (there is another SATA drive in the system). When I just run "knoppix 2", the system hangs at "Starting udev hot-plug hardware detection..." Also, I am using Knoppix version 2.6.24.4.

    When I ran "knoppix nodma noudev nofstab nomount noswap", I was able to finally boot...thanks! Now I just need to figure out if I can figure out how to run dd_rhelp on the failed drive. Any help would be much appreciated!

    I apologize for the basic questions, but I've very new to Linux and don't really know my way around very well.

Similar Threads

  1. isolinux: Failed to locate CD-ROM device; boot failed.
    By markley in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 03:33 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 12:03 AM
  3. System hangs during boot with USB flash drive attached
    By farcha in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 10:55 PM
  4. system hangs on boot when creating /etc/fstab
    By niyogi in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2003, 11:53 PM
  5. System hangs with aic7xxx.o --> boot noscsi --> no Eth
    By danielgarcia in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 06:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



Dell OptiPlex 3080 SFF Intel LGA 1200 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard HMF7C picture

Dell OptiPlex 3080 SFF Intel LGA 1200 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard HMF7C

$49.99