I couldn't tell from your original post if you had downloaded the CD or DVD version, both are available (and in versions that default to German or English also). The current CD version is a year older, but it does have cleaner menus (somehow a lot of stuff that should be organized under the 5.3.1 menu system just got swept into "lost and found").

If you go to the news forum, near the top you will find a link for a free downloadable book that you might like. Also remember that Documentation link on the top of every page here to get to our wiki. And there are plenty of other good Linux references scattered around here and on the Internet.

If you are just talking about reformatting media, sure, Linux (and thus Knoppix) can do that. I personally always use some 3rd party formatting tools that I have for windows, so I'll let the manuals or other posters give you Linux formatting instructions. Just be careful, your devices have very different names than you know them by under Windows; be very sure that you are not about to format your hard drive with important information on it.