Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Logged onto Knoppix & can't get documents to my ext HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    Logged onto Knoppix & can't get documents to my ext HD

    My computer crashed when I uninstalled Roxio 7.5 and came up with a blue screen and error STOP:0X0000007B. I had a Knoppix disc from an earlier problem and used it to get the Linux OS up with Knoppix. My problem: desktop shows no files and I'm at a loss how to view my desktop and move or copy files from the computer to my external HD. I would also like to get on Internet Explorer to copy my favorites before I have to reinstall the OS. Can any one help me?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    When booting with a knoppix CD or DVD when the dekstop loads you should see a few drive icons, labelled either sda1 or hda1 etc
    If you dont see these then either the verison of knoppix you are using may be too old, or perhaps the hard drive has errors.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    Still can't get documents to my ext HD

    Quote Originally Posted by hal8000
    When booting with a knoppix CD or DVD when the dekstop loads you should see a few drive icons, labelled either sda1 or hda1 etc
    If you dont see these then either the verison of knoppix you are using may be too old, or perhaps the hard drive has errors.
    When I log onto Knoppix I see the icons and one is sda1. When I attach my external HD and turn it on a new icon appears as sdc1. When I highlight a folder in sda1 and try to copy it to sdc1 a message comes up that "it is a file and a folder was expected." I try to make a new folder in sdc1 and I am told I can't. So, what do I do now to try and copy folders (files) to my external HD?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Still can't get documents to my ext HD

    Quote Originally Posted by triviaace11
    When I log onto Knoppix I see the icons and one is sda1. When I attach my external HD and turn it on a new icon appears as sdc1. When I highlight a folder in sda1 and try to copy it to sdc1 a message comes up that "it is a file and a folder was expected." I try to make a new folder in sdc1 and I am told I can't. So, what do I do now to try and copy folders (files) to my external HD?
    In Knoppix, by default, all drive are not mounted. Means they are not connected.

    You are the big BOSS who have total control. So what you need to do usually is connect it and make it writable.

    1. mount the drive (right click on the icon and select mount)
    2. once you mount the drive, the icon will have a little green triangle on the lower right hand bottom means it is now mounted. (ok now the drive is connected)
    3. by default, the mounted drive is read only. (i.e. like a cd). So if you want to write something onto it, you should right click it again and select the change read/write permission.

    Rgds,
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. Help with Knoppix 5.1 and saving documents from HD
    By johnnyseriuss in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-23-2009, 07:36 AM
  2. transfering documents Knoppix->Windows
    By lorddane in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 05:05 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2005, 04:56 PM
  4. Staying logged in?
    By patik in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 06:56 PM
  5. Knoppix for recovering Word documents
    By snowby in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2003, 07:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key& picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&

$69.90



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99