-
Logged onto Knoppix & can't get documents to my ext HD
My computer crashed when I uninstalled Roxio 7.5 and came up with a blue screen and error STOP:0X0000007B. I had a Knoppix disc from an earlier problem and used it to get the Linux OS up with Knoppix. My problem: desktop shows no files and I'm at a loss how to view my desktop and move or copy files from the computer to my external HD. I would also like to get on Internet Explorer to copy my favorites before I have to reinstall the OS. Can any one help me?
-
Senior Member
registered user
When booting with a knoppix CD or DVD when the dekstop loads you should see a few drive icons, labelled either sda1 or hda1 etc
If you dont see these then either the verison of knoppix you are using may be too old, or perhaps the hard drive has errors.
-
Still can't get documents to my ext HD

Originally Posted by
hal8000
When booting with a knoppix CD or DVD when the dekstop loads you should see a few drive icons, labelled either sda1 or hda1 etc
If you dont see these then either the verison of knoppix you are using may be too old, or perhaps the hard drive has errors.
When I log onto Knoppix I see the icons and one is sda1. When I attach my external HD and turn it on a new icon appears as sdc1. When I highlight a folder in sda1 and try to copy it to sdc1 a message comes up that "it is a file and a folder was expected." I try to make a new folder in sdc1 and I am told I can't. So, what do I do now to try and copy folders (files) to my external HD?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Still can't get documents to my ext HD

Originally Posted by
triviaace11
When I log onto Knoppix I see the icons and one is sda1. When I attach my external HD and turn it on a new icon appears as sdc1. When I highlight a folder in sda1 and try to copy it to sdc1 a message comes up that "it is a file and a folder was expected." I try to make a new folder in sdc1 and I am told I can't. So, what do I do now to try and copy folders (files) to my external HD?
In Knoppix, by default, all drive are not mounted. Means they are not connected.
You are the big BOSS who have total control. So what you need to do usually is connect it and make it writable.
1. mount the drive (right click on the icon and select mount)
2. once you mount the drive, the icon will have a little green triangle on the lower right hand bottom means it is now mounted. (ok now the drive is connected)
3. by default, the mounted drive is read only. (i.e. like a cd). So if you want to write something onto it, you should right click it again and select the change read/write permission.
Rgds,
Chip
Similar Threads
-
By johnnyseriuss in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-23-2009, 07:36 AM
-
By lorddane in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-09-2006, 05:05 PM
-
By kpfuser in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-24-2005, 04:56 PM
-
By patik in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-05-2004, 06:56 PM
-
By snowby in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-31-2003, 07:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$12.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01