Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: WiFi card Identified as eth0

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    36

    WiFi card Identified as eth0

    why is my WiFi card being identified by Kwlan as eth0, instead of wlan0?

    Dell Latitude CPi, Netgear MA401 802.11b PCMCIA card. This laptop was built without MODEM, Wireless, or Ethernet. There are no other PCMCIA devices loaded on this laptop. Is eth0 the way that Knoppix identifies a WiFi card, instead of wlan0

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: WiFi card Identified as eth0

    Quote Originally Posted by borgward
    why is my WiFi card being identified by Kwlan as eth0, instead of wlan0?

    Dell Latitude CPi, Netgear MA401 802.11b PCMCIA card. This laptop was built without MODEM, Wireless, or Ethernet. There are no other PCMCIA devices loaded on this laptop. Is eth0 the way that Knoppix identifies a WiFi card, instead of wlan0
    Don't know how knoppix named the ethernet device. I have both the Dell Latitude D600 and D610, on knoppix 5.1.1, both wireless cards are identified as eth1 (the eth0 is the wired ethernet)

    But when I test them with knoppix 5.3.1, it shows wlan0.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    36
    >when I test them with knoppix 5.3.1, it shows wlan0.

    >>What did you use to test them w/Knoppix?

    >>Is Knoppix running live, or installed on the HDD's of those laptops?

    >>I assume that you are running the Broadcom wireless that is built into those Latitudes.

    >>Do you ever have trouble connecting at public WiFi spots?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by borgward
    >when I test them with knoppix 5.3.1, it shows wlan0.

    >>What did you use to test them w/Knoppix?

    >>Is Knoppix running live, or installed on the HDD's of those laptops?

    >>I assume that you are running the Broadcom wireless that is built into those Latitudes.

    >>Do you ever have trouble connecting at public WiFi spots?
    I only use Knoppix as a live CD/DVD. (i.e. boot it from CD/DVD) and most of the time I use it for internet browsing via the wireless NIC.

    Yes, I am using the built in Broadcom wireless card and you have to use ndiswrapper to make it work. Check out http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ FAQ 13 on how I battle with the Broadcom card with 5.3.1.

    No, I never try it outside on the public WiFi spots. Don't know where I can find one, I am at Toronto.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    36
    >No, I never try it outside on the public WiFi spots. Don't know where I can find one, I am at Toronto.

    >>Google WiFi hotspots Toronto. Some hotels provide it. Do not know what the situation is like where you are.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by borgward
    >No, I never try it outside on the public WiFi spots. Don't know where I can find one, I am at Toronto.

    >>Google WiFi hotspots Toronto. Some hotels provide it. Do not know what the situation is like where you are.
    I believe I saw news on the TV saying that Toronto hydro will provide free wifi on the central downtown area in Toronto. (not sure whether they have it now)

    However, I seldom went downtown ever since my company moved from downtown Toronto to another city north of Toronto 7 years ago. And if I go downtown, then most likely will be a family event and I will not bring my laptop with me.

    I was told some MacDonald and Starbucks here in Toronto uptown provide wifi service but I don't know much about the detail.

    I did saw one Coffee Time (or second cup not sure which one) near my office did provide wifi service but when I asked them, they say I have to sign up a plan with Rogers (the cable/internet company here) in order to use the wifi service.

    The same thing happened last Oct when I was in London (UK), I went to a Starbucks and they say that they have wifi service, but I have to buy a prepaid airtime in order to use it.

    How about in your region? Is that Wifi is really free?

    Rgds,
    Chip

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    36
    Pretty much free in Austin Tx area. Libraries,coffee shops, book stores. Also in coffee shops and libraries in Columbus ohio. Starbucks and McDonalds charge of course. McDonalds wants $3+ a day. Ridiculous. thats about $90/mo. Staebucks has lousy coffee, so won't pay them to use their WiFi

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 02:23 PM
  2. USB WiFi Card?
    By boorish in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 03:28 AM
  3. Can't See WiFi Card
    By deutschemonte in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 08:36 PM
  4. Network card eth0 start with DHCP !!!!!
    By fabry6210 in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 09:25 PM
  5. wifi card help
    By redeagle in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 11:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95