-
HELP! Problems mounting/writing to external HDD
So my Vista installation will not boot on my laptop and I wanted to recover my files and then do a complete recovery install. So I came across Knoppix and I have it successfull running through a USB drive on the laptop. I borrowed an external HDD and I hooked it up to the laptop via USB and I can access it fine through Knoppix.
However, when I right clicked it and tried to change read/write mode, it gave me an error saying unable to change because another process may be accessing the filesystem. I also tried right clicking>properties> and then unchecking the box that says "read only". Now, the HDD shows up as being writable, however it will not mount. It gives me an error saying "Could not mount device.....Mount is denied because NTFS is unclean. Choose one of these actions...." and it goes on to list 3 actions like boot in windows and shutdown, run ntfsfix unless you have vista then mount ntfs with force option read-write, or mount ntfs with ro option in readonly mode.
Please help me mount and write!
Thanks
-
OK so after reading several posts here I have come to the conclusion that I probably will not want to write to this as it is a NTFS drive and I do not have the option of formatting it to FAT32. So - can someone recommend a good way to recover those files? I read some mentions of setting up an FTP - can anyone give me a walkthrough because I have never done that. Also - I am not sure if my knoppix is connected to the network bc the internet will not work on it. Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
fazzk
OK so after reading several posts here I have come to the conclusion that I probably will not want to write to this as it is a NTFS drive and I do not have the option of formatting it to FAT32. So - can someone recommend a good way to recover those files? I read some mentions of setting up an FTP - can anyone give me a walkthrough because I have never done that. Also - I am not sure if my knoppix is connected to the network bc the internet will not work on it. Thanks.
If the vista volume is unclean, you only have to mount it read only as youre only reading from it.
Your externally formatted NTFS HD will need to be mounted with write access as you are going to copy data onto it.
This is the easiest way as you can drag and drop files onto the external HD.
Using FTP requires a saecond computer and is unneccesary.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
hal8000
.....Your externally formatted NTFS HD will need to be mounted with write access as you are going to copy data onto it....Using FTP requires a saecond computer and is unneccesary.
Unless, of course, corrupting a NTFS disk because you wrote to it with Knoppix is a problem. Then safely transferring the files across a network may in hindsight seem like it would have been a very good idea.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By desperateforhelp in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-06-2008, 01:58 AM
-
By gx240 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-13-2007, 02:50 PM
-
By Toastedkl in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-27-2007, 10:35 AM
-
By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-26-2006, 06:41 AM
-
By ccleung in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount - Excellent Condition
$600.00

Sophos SD-RED 20 (R20ZTCHMR)
$389.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$69.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU
$99.99

Unfi Security Gateway Pro
$170.00

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99