Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Need HAL

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    HULL
    Posts
    30

    Need HAL

    [color=black][color=black]Hi there. I was loading Knoppix into RAM, but found it to be a bit eratic. The one good thing was that I could play Audio CD's in the drive. Now I am using it from the Cd I have to use an external DVD/CD player and every time am being told that I cannot use it because it needs HAL. I have searched everywhere for a HAL download and failed to find one.[ I would have thought that HAL would have been on the Knoppix CD, but if it is I cannot locate it. Can anyone help? Regards Grandad Walt

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    uhm, hal should already be there, it is more likely you lack access to it.
    if you type
    Code:
    groups
    do you get the ones below?

    users wheel floppy audio video cdrom plugdev
    if not try
    Code:
    sudo usermod  -G users,audio,wheel,cdrom,plugdev knoppix
    if you have added a user change knoppix to username.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    HULL
    Posts
    30

    Need HAL

    Thanks for the info, it is good to know there are those who care. But I was looking in Knoppix Package Manager and actually found HAL. Seems it was already installed. Wondered why then, that it was not helping me. Anyway I think I have gone some way to resolving the issue. Put a Music CD into the DVD drive and 'hey presto' Caffein found it and I had a real treat seeing it all displayed as it ought to be. No problems whatsoever now. This Knoppix is all and everything I ever wanted. Every day I learn something more about it. Thanks again Guy's. You are the best. Grandad Walt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025

$22.00



Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD

$199.00



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION* picture

Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*

$319.79



Western Digital WD121PURP  12TB SATA 3.5

Western Digital WD121PURP 12TB SATA 3.5" Purple Pro Surveillance Hard Drive

$275.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$69.00