Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: PhotoRec data recovery help needed

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2

    PhotoRec data recovery help needed

    Hi, I have a customer's XP hard drive that crashed. It won't reboot, and Knoppix shows that all that is left is an empty Windows folder, Recycle Bin and System Volume Information. All other folders are missing in action.

    Anyhow, I'm tasked with recovering "tons" of photos and writings. First I want the photos. I tried PhotoRec, and following a tutorial it seemed to be finding them. It was saving them to the ramdisk - and after it was done there were some folders on the desktop called recup_.dir.1 . They had a lock on them and I couldn't move them or copy them to a HD or flash drive.

    When setting up PhotoRec, I get to a page that says: "Do you want to save recovered files in /ramdisk/home/knoppix/ ? [Y/N].
    The next line says "To select another directory, use the arrow keys. I don't see my devices - only Desktop, tmp, etc. So I'm stumpted.
    I want to save them to either sdb1 or hda6, but I don't see that option. How can I do this?

    I would certainly appreciate any help here. I tried several Windows based data recovery progs., but they cannot see the drive.

    Right now I'm using an old Compact Flash card as a test "corrupted drive" until I get the process down.

    Thanks,
    Packrat1947

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    When using Photorec you are running as root, this is why you see a padlock on the drive.

    Open a terminal type the following lines (enter at the end of each line)
    su
    chown -R knoppix:knoppix Desktop/recup_.dir.1


    The above should change owner and group of all files to knoppix and allow you to copy them to your usb drive.

    You can also try ntfsundelete
    Open a terminal
    su
    apt-get update
    apt-get install ntfsprogs
    mkdir /home/knoppix/recovered
    ntfsundelete -p100 -m '*jpg' -u /home/knoppix/recovered

    this will create a folder called recovered. Seek out all jpg files that are 100% recoverable
    and undelete them to the recovered folder

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2
    Hi Hal,
    Thanks for the reply.

    This is where I am. I downloaded the Windows XP version, and it is running as I type. I expirimented on my old Compact Flash card and worked out how to save to other directories.

    One has to use the left and right arrow keys to drill to the desired location. Pressing the left arrow key several times takes me to the listing of all drives.

    Right now it is reporting it will take about 40 hours. I hope it is not stuck.

    But I will try your take ownership method. I have had drives in here that only Knoppix and Slax could see. Ubuntu was blind in this respect.

    I have fan blowing on the drive, and hopefully things will work out OK.

    Cheers,
    Packrat1947

Similar Threads

  1. Data recovery!
    By andyp in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
  2. Data Recovery
    By mustjustbe in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 03:32 AM
  3. Data recovery from HDD
    By Metallo in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
  4. PXE deployment & recovery server [HELP NEEDED]
    By jf1976 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 06:10 PM
  5. Knoppix live CD and data recovery help needed!
    By comfortably numb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2005, 09:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kineses PS/2 Keyboard to Macintosh Adapter Converter Vintage Interface Apple picture

Kineses PS/2 Keyboard to Macintosh Adapter Converter Vintage Interface Apple

$60.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B  607-0103-C  607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++ picture

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++

$169.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



VINTAGE Apple Quantum ProDrive LT 700MB 3.5

VINTAGE Apple Quantum ProDrive LT 700MB 3.5" OEM Hard Drive SCSI 50pin Mac

$89.99



Vintage Apple USB Keyboard Purple Grape Translucent iMac 1999 M2452 Tested picture

Vintage Apple USB Keyboard Purple Grape Translucent iMac 1999 M2452 Tested

$49.99



256k VRAM Vintage Apple Macintosh 670-0269 works with 630-0044 80ns QTY: 2 picture

256k VRAM Vintage Apple Macintosh 670-0269 works with 630-0044 80ns QTY: 2

$76.20



Vintage Apple iMac 2003 G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac 2003 G4 15" 1GHz PowerPC G4 1GB 80GB HDD Mac OS X 10.4 M6498

$250.00



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00