-
PhotoRec data recovery help needed
Hi, I have a customer's XP hard drive that crashed. It won't reboot, and Knoppix shows that all that is left is an empty Windows folder, Recycle Bin and System Volume Information. All other folders are missing in action.
Anyhow, I'm tasked with recovering "tons" of photos and writings. First I want the photos. I tried PhotoRec, and following a tutorial it seemed to be finding them. It was saving them to the ramdisk - and after it was done there were some folders on the desktop called recup_.dir.1 . They had a lock on them and I couldn't move them or copy them to a HD or flash drive.
When setting up PhotoRec, I get to a page that says: "Do you want to save recovered files in /ramdisk/home/knoppix/ ? [Y/N].
The next line says "To select another directory, use the arrow keys. I don't see my devices - only Desktop, tmp, etc. So I'm stumpted.
I want to save them to either sdb1 or hda6, but I don't see that option. How can I do this?
I would certainly appreciate any help here. I tried several Windows based data recovery progs., but they cannot see the drive.
Right now I'm using an old Compact Flash card as a test "corrupted drive" until I get the process down.
Thanks,
Packrat1947
Similar Threads
-
By andyp in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
-
By mustjustbe in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-10-2007, 03:32 AM
-
By Metallo in forum General Support
Replies: 18
Last Post: 05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
-
By jf1976 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2006, 06:10 PM
-
By comfortably numb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$159.99

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM
$120.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00