-
Trying to recover data from damaged hard drive
Hi, forgive me if this is not the right place to post this.
About a month ago my hard drive with WinXP stopped working. First I tried hooking it up as a slave on another computer, but it cannot be recognized. Then I researched and found that Knoppix is good for being able to recover data from damaged hard drives.
So I have Knoppix 5.1 on a disc, and can boot to it just fine, but it will not recognize the damaged hard drive. I have booted to Knoppix with a good hard drive installed (just to make sure I knew what to look for). When I boot off the cd with a good hard drive hooked up, it doesnt take very long at all to get to the desktop. When i have the damaged hard drive hooked up, its takes a really long time to get to the Knoppix desktop (although it eventually makes it there).
I'm not sure if it matters, but the damaged hard drive shows up in the BIOS just fine. If I can't get Knoppix to recognize the damaged drive, am I pretty much out of luck as far as getting the data back myself?
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By Chris2222 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
-
By adamj in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
-
By rossi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-06-2006, 03:42 PM
-
By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
-
By thebyrd in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic
$100.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More
$300.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$150.00

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed
$125.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh PowerBook 145B M5409 Gray 1-bit LCD Laptop - For Parts
$49.99

Vintage Apple Pro Mouse M5769 Wired Optical USB White/Clear
$24.99

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00