Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Acer Aspire

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    10

    Oh and I forgot something

    I got my CD off of the back of "Knoppix Hacks". So I have a $30 book with a Live CD that won't boot. I don't know what Klaus calls it but I call it a rip-off.

  2. #12
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    So basically, Klaus made this great free Live CD and gave it to the world. It could be freely downloaded by anyone. You chose instead of downloading it to buy a book about Knoppix that also included a copy of the free software and are having some problems with it. I'm not clear from what you posted what the exact nature of the problems are, but it could even be that the problems are related to using a version of the software that was created before your hardware came out and that a newer and still free version of the software would work just fine on your hardware. Since you are unhappy about your choice to buy a book (not a book by Klaus), you chose to post about it, and use Klaus' name in that complaining post. Is that a reasonable interpretation of what you posted?

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    10

    Latest version of Knoppix?

    It was late I was getting upset and it was the same problem someone else in the forum was posting. It boots to a certain point then says 'Cannot find filesystem" and gives you a limited list of commands. It's not a new problem as I found post from 2005 with the same thing. But I really like Knoppix and the tools so I was upset because I bought two books with a total value of over $70 and neither of the disk would boot.

    So what is the latest version number for Knoppix so I can assure I am using the latest version and I'll download it because after double checking both books with problematic CDs it did not give a version number...thanks in advance. It

  4. #14
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Pressed discs are generally pretty good (as opposed to hgh speed burns on dye discs that you get from sellers on the electronic bay of thieves, which certainly will cause this problem). What you describe could be a bad disc but it might also be caused if booting an older version of Knoppix that didn't know about SATA drives on newer hardware with an SATA optical drive.

    I'm surprised that neither disc has the version of Knoppix marked on the top of the disc. And I'm surprised the books don't say. I don't know what versions they are, but you might find out just by booting them on older equipment that they support fine.

    As to current versions, as of the date and time of this post, Knoppix CD is at 6.0.1, Knoppix DVD is at 5.3.1. There is a "Get Knoppix" link at the top of this page that will give you links for downloading. I very strongly suggest that you use the BitTorrent protocol to download rather than getting files from a mirror (about 1/2 of my mirror downloads of Knoppix were bad before the torrents became available and the torrents are much faster). I also suggest that you click on the "Documentation" link near the top of this page and read the wiki downloading faq for very important information about downloading, verifying, burning and booting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 06:28 PM
  2. Acer Aspire 3000Wci wireless is on does not see my router?
    By atomicbluefish in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 09:07 PM
  3. Acer Aspire 1804WSMI
    By ilprincipe1984 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 07:29 PM
  4. Cannot boot Acer Aspire 1691 laptop
    By stevlev in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 08:12 PM
  5. ACER ASPIRE 1710, AND A WIRLESS CARD
    By linuxnoob19 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 10:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99