-
Lost MBR for hdb
Bet you've never seen this one before:
Running Win2K and have got a copy of PGP that's a couple of years old and was doing some "spring cleaning" -- so ...
HD0 = 80Gb partitioned to 8Gb (C:/) for OS and remainder (D:/) for data.
HD1 = 200Gb partitioned to 30Gb (E:/) for backup files and 160Gb (F:/) for larger storage, video, audio, large images and stuff
Ran chkdsk and defragmented all drives, then began wiping drive free space using PGP. All went OK for the smaller partitions on HD0, but began a wipe on the 160Gb partition and ... oops, now I can't read the data. Hardware is all recognized (I'm pretty sure there is no hardware problem), but when I run Knoppix TESTDISK I'm having difficulty navigating to the problematic drive.
On bootup the hardware and partitions are recognized as hda and hdb -- how do I navigate to the hdb drive to reconstruct the MBR that was no doubt eaten by PGP in the wipe process? This version of PGP probably does not read the large partition and scrambled or deleted the NTFS MBR.
EDIT: Correction
Knoppix reads the drive as [hdb1] and [hdb2], but when I click on the recognized partitions I am told that the device could not be mounted; that "I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified."
I tried right clicking on the device and clicked the "mount" option which tells me, again "I could not mount the device"
Similar Threads
-
By kg4wxw in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-02-2006, 06:28 AM
-
By rozen in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-13-2006, 07:07 PM
-
By mataemon_araki in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-08-2006, 01:13 AM
-
By babelbrennt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-17-2005, 01:32 AM
-
By bigkahuna in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99