Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: knoppix 6.0 Frugal install or booting from ISO.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Delhi, India
    Posts
    1

    knoppix 6.0 Frugal install or booting from ISO.

    Hi,

    I am using various Linux distributions since 2004 and KANOPPIX for the first time. Generally I avoid burning a CD and try to boot from ISO after copying the files to a spare Hard Disk partition and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst for that partition. I downloaded KNOPPIX 6.0 yesterday and tried to boot as per my method. This is the entry I made for KANOPPIX 6.0:
    title KANNOPIX Frugal
    root (hd0,9)
    kernel /boot/isolinux/linux root=/dev/sda10 lang=en toram frugal
    initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    I also tried to add fromhd=/dev/sda10 and changing sda to hda but it does not work.

    I was getting this error:
    sh: can't access tty: job control turned
    This is after KNOPPIX boots using the linux and minirt.gz
    If I type mount at # prompt I can see that /proc /sys etc are mounted.

    I think that the system can't find KNOPPIX folder which is located on the same partition from which it boots.

    I have also read the following on distrowatch.com:
    Knoppix 5.x boot options and features to the new system (not complete yet)
    Does it mean I can't boot from ISO or have frugal install of KNOPPIX 6.0?

    kagashe

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1
    I've been fighting the same issue for the past day. 6.0 obviously doesn't have a hd install option like the other versions. Getting the same error.

    Looks like the live cd is mounted on /mnt-system when it boots, but I placed those files in the root directory of my empty partition.

    Tried creating /mnt-system to mimic live cd with no luck. I'll keep tinkering but if anybody has any solutions please share.

    scsand

Similar Threads

  1. Frugal-Install, need some persistant data
    By eMeRy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 07:23 PM
  2. frugal DUPLEX install for KNOPPIX
    By utu in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 02:35 AM
  3. Calling All Frugal Hardware Users
    By dvryknopper in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 05:40 AM
  4. Booting Knoppix HD install on USB hd with no floppy?
    By visage in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 01:58 PM
  5. Problems booting Knoppix after hdd install
    By mpeters13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2003, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules picture

Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules

$599.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$8999.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99