-
Booting Problems
Hi all:
I'm hoping you can help me, and I hope it is a simple fix.
I just purchased and recieved the Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD. I booted it up and it worked great for about 20 mins. I think I x'd out of something and I guess i shouldn't have. The system froze on me, so I ended up restarting the computer. I didn't think or know that it was going to have any effect on the system going forward.
I rebooted the computer and the next thing that came up was this
"Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-on-DVD
Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done
Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.
Additional builtin commands available:
cat mount umount
insmod rmmod lsmod
knoppix#"
Basically won't let me back in to the computer to use knoppix.
I then went to another computer, much older one, but have updated the memory....
and still get the same error.
I then decided I wanted the computers to boot via USB so I did my investigation on the internet and they had a solution to boot via usb flash drive. I downloaded the Knoppix 5.3.1 iso along with the additional booting programs that were provided on the link. Went through it step by step and ended getting the same error message as the DVD booting problem.
I go into f2 and f3 and try all the commands---debug, dvdtest..... all the different option that are provided and still can't get it to load up.
Can you please help me. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time
Jim D.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Sorry for the problems you're having.
Sometimes a disk that doesn't work in one machine works in another. That could be caused by the quality of the disk, the error correction on your optical drive or the setting in your BIOS. What is strange, though, is that it worked for a while and ceased working after that. The fact that you can't boot from your USB either suggests the problem could be elsewhere. Maybe someone else here has an answer/suggestion.
BTW, could I ask where you bought the disk. We've not had any complaints so far about the company we recommend here but I do know that quality varies from one supplier to the next.
Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem | Wiki articles
-
Booting Problems
Hi Clinton:
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. here is the link from the company I got the dvd from - See below
http://linuxcentral.com/catalog/inde...=C1CQRBwNNjMCT
Hopefully someone can help.
I'll keep you posted if I hear anything
Thanks again,
JD
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I very strongly recommend downloading your own copy of the ISO file and burning it at low speed, I very much expect that your problems will go away if you do this. See the Documentation link near the top of this page to get to the wiki and read the Downloading FAQ for full details on how to best download, how to verify a good download and how to burn the disc properly.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
booting problem
Hi Harry:
I have downloaded the 5.3.1 ISO as well. I am running into difficulties as well. It seems to work sometimes and not another. It seems very unstable, but I do enjoy it when I do get up and running. It is allot of fun because it is so much more advanced then your xp or vista. I'll keep working at it and hopefully I'll get so used to it that I will particean my HD and do a complete install. Baby steps for me now. DVD, next USB and then HD.
Cheers,
Thanks for the advice
JD
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: booting problem

Originally Posted by
jimdeviney
I am running into difficulties as well. It seems to work sometimes and not another.
If you can post details about your problems someone may be able to help. I'm guessing you're not getting the "file system not found" error any more if you have a low speed burn and are not still mentioning it.

Originally Posted by
jimdeviney
DVD, next USB and then HD.
HD? Blasphemy!
-
Thanks
jimdeviney wrote:
DVD, next USB and then HD.
HD? Blasphemy!
Yes Hard Drive--
Sorry I speak the wrong jargon
Yes I still have problems but am able to work through it. I downloaded and ISO from the website and it works.
Thanks for the help
JD
Similar Threads
-
By iltmpz in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-24-2009, 01:11 PM
-
By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
-
By rockinrodent in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 12
Last Post: 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM
-
By login365 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-18-2005, 12:38 AM
-
By Mr. Chopper in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00