Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can't locate kernel image knoppix and boot params...grrrrr

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2

    Can't locate kernel image knoppix and boot params...grrrrr

    Hi,

    Knoppix newbie, Linux veteran (slack).

    I have a laptop with no HDD in it and am using Knoppix 5.1.1 CD to boot and do stuff. I two usb memory sticks (1GB and 4GB).

    When I create a persistent Knoppix disk image everything goes fine (/dev/sda 4GB usb). The info at the end of the image creation says to pass the boot param home=/dev/sda or home=scan a la:

    boot: knoppix home=/dev/sda

    So..I reboot and get to the boot prompt and do:

    boot: knoppix home=/dev/sda

    but I get the error:

    could not find kernel image: knoppix
    ??? what's the problem?

    So I'm thinking maybe the kernel is called something more common so I do:

    boot: linux home=/dev/sda

    Kernel image is found and boots into Knoppix normally, but the boot param has no effect.../dev/sda/knoppix.img is not mounted as home.

    So, the next time I reboot with NO boot params, at some time during the boot phase, Knoppix tells me it has found a saved image on /dev/sda and would I like it mounted as home....yes I would thank you. Knoppix finishes booting and indeed /dev/sda/knoppix.img is mounted as home. Next time I boot no such luck...and it hasn't found the knoppix.img since....

    Any help??? I'm pretty sick of reconfigging things every time I boot...

    My USB sticks are not flaky in any way and exhibit no ill behavior.

    C

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Give the following cheat code a try:

    boot: knoppix home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img

    Rgds,
    Chip

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2

    Thanks but....

    Thanks Chip,

    But I guess there are 2 issues here:

    1) There is no such kernel image "knoppix"

    When I do:
    boot: knoppix anything else here

    I get:
    cannot find kernel image knoppix

    That is issue one.

    2) The only valid kernel image name is linux. So I can try giving the full path to the persistent disk image as:

    boot: linux home=/dev/sda/knoppix.img

    But alas...no joy.

    I guess my first objective here is to figure out why there is no kernel image named knoppix on the CD...Is this a documentation error?

    Any Help?

    Thanks

    C

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2

    Re: Thanks but....

    Quote Originally Posted by xxchargerxx
    Thanks Chip,

    But I guess there are 2 issues here:

    1) There is no such kernel image "knoppix"

    When I do:
    boot: knoppix anything else here

    I get:
    cannot find kernel image knoppix

    That is issue one.

    2) The only valid kernel image name is linux. So I can try giving the full path to the persistent disk image as:

    boot: linux home=/dev/sda/knoppix.img

    But alas...no joy.

    I guess my first objective here is to figure out why there is no kernel image named knoppix on the CD...Is this a documentation error?

    Any Help?

    Thanks

    C
    Have you tried to re-burn the disc? There was a couple of times where I recorded a cd somewhere (it was a Worms W0rld p4rty btw) and after I managed to read it once, it never was readable again.

    I'm just saying... you can try
    regards

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    The correct boot parameter is

    knoppix home=scan

    the command will be parsed and should find your persistant image.

    Other cheat codes here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

Similar Threads

  1. Post Hdd Install, Knoppix 3.7 - How to upgrade kernel-image
    By steptayl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 11:24 PM
  2. Kernel Params
    By Frunktz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2005, 08:55 PM
  3. booting knoppix, blank screen at kernel image load
    By trotfox in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 08:21 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 07:03 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1000.00



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



VMware EDGE 620N SD-WAN VeloCloud Appliance -  (NO power cord) picture

VMware EDGE 620N SD-WAN VeloCloud Appliance - (NO power cord)

$89.00