Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't find a basic knowing knoppix link

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2

    Can't find a basic knowing knoppix link

    Hey there all!!!!
    I am new to LInux and Knoppix. I am trying my best to have a simple understanding of the features and I am totally lost. I need a begginers guide to 5.1. Every command I try to run, makes me encounter a lot more trouble. I can't figure out how to run anything. The help topics within the cd are very, very unprecise, basically I can't find anything.

    Basic things like copying a file in the system32 folder, mounting volumes, etc.

    Please help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    where do you want to copy a file from and to where?
    mounting a volume is easy, just click on the icon on the desktop.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2
    hey Orein, thanks for your reply.
    But, I have done that and it still keeps giving me an error message, that I can't write to the volume.

    I have mount it the volume
    I have click on the read only mode
    and when i try to copy over the ntoskrnl.exe file that is bad, it gives me the error.

    Notes:
    1) I have tried to pull the good file from several different locations including the recovery partition on the HDD, another laptop, a recovery cd.
    2) It also mentions to try and do it from the root console, sure enough I get an error message about the password
    3) I try to join my windows network and it mentions the need for network-admin password

    As you can see, I am running in to all the little things that I think I can solve with a little bit of research and reading, but I can't the direction to go to get me out of my frustration.

    I like trail and error, but when you get somewhere!

    Thanks again,

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i would NOT reccomend using Knoppix to write to a Windows boot partition, it is NOT safe, atleast in my opinion.
    in your seat I would try BARTPE or similar WINDOWS based rescue disk.
    Knoppix is great to RESCUE files from a dead linux or windows install, can even find deleted files and such, but, writing to a already bad Windows partition is a 10% chance it will NEVER run again before whole partition is removed and reformatted, it has been my experience at least.

Similar Threads

  1. Very basic question on FTP support in Knoppix
    By svrfrmfaith in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 01:15 AM
  2. Knowing Knoppix - ebook
    By gnukish in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 08:58 PM
  3. New to Knoppix - couple of basic questions
    By tonedef667 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 01:29 AM
  4. Useful Link For The Knoppix Site
    By beforewisdom in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 01:06 PM
  5. Basic Linux Question and how it works in Knoppix?
    By lindleyrl in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99