-
NTFS Partition backups with Knoppix Live CD
I'm trying to use a Knoppix Live CD to make backup copies of a Windows NTFS partition using dd. I need a bit of help. I'm pretty familiar with Unix, but am new to Linux.
The background of my problem is as follows: When installing Windows on a single hard drive, my normal procedure is to create one partition for the operating system, and a second extended NTFS partition called DATA. Normally, I use a bootable Norton Ghost disk to make backup images of the operating system partition as I proceed through the installation process. I store the ghost images of the operating system partition on the DATA partition. So, for example, I'll install windows XP on the operating system partition and make an image called XP0, which I store on the DATA partition. Next, I'll install all the hardware drivers and make an image called XP1. Then I'll install service pack 2 and make image XP2. Next I install windows updates and create image XP3, and so forth. I do this in case, for example, a windows update hoses the operating system, I can restore image XP2 and move forward, without reinstalling everything from scratch.
I'm trying to accomplish the same process using dd from a Knoppix Live CD. I created the CD from this iso:
KNOPPIX_V6.0-ADRIANE_V1.1CD-2009-01-27-EN.iso
My hard drive is a Western Digital 250 GB SATA drive. My motherboard is an MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum. I've installed Windows XP and created the NTFS extended partition called DATA. Here's what I'm doing to try to make the first backup image:
1) Boot off Knoppix Live CD
2) Choose option 9 (shell) to get a command prompt
3) Gain SuperUser access by typing:
sudo -s
4) I type
ls /mnt
and I deduce that the operating system partition is /dev/sda1 and the extended partition is /dev/sda5.
5) I try this command:
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sda5/xp0.dat
6) I get this error:
dd: opening "/dev/sda5/xp0.dat" not a directory
Do I need to mount /dev/sda5 first? Or do I mount /dev/sda1? Or both? Or am I doing something else stupid?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try replacing:
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sda5/xp0.dat
with
Code:
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/mnt/sda5/xp0.dat
or wherever mount shows /dev/sda5 is mounted (might be /media)
see also
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Dd#Create_a_backup
HTH
Similar Threads
-
By Drake in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-19-2005, 02:11 AM
-
By zette in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
-
By Chefren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-29-2005, 09:21 AM
-
By OCedHrt in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-17-2004, 05:35 AM
-
By wooac in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX
$14.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99