Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Problems with the Remastering Howto document

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1

    Problems with the Remastering Howto document

    I'm trying to remaster the 6.0.1 version of Knoppix using the steps outlined in the Howto. Steps 10-13 describe copying files from the /cdrom directory. However, that directory does not exist. Do I still need to copy those files? Have them moved?

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    The howto was wrote at the time of knoppix 3.4. It is ok for knoppix 5.11 and 5.31 but I believe there have been many changes in Knoppix 6 distribution.
    You may be better off starting with 5.31 or 5.11 to remaster

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2

    Re: Problems with the Remastering Howto document

    Quote Originally Posted by bbeck
    I'm trying to remaster the 6.0.1 version of Knoppix using the steps outlined in the Howto. Steps 10-13 describe copying files from the /cdrom directory. However, that directory does not exist.
    You will find the directory by entering "mount" and look for your cdrom device. In my case it is /dev/hdc and is mounted to /mnt-system. This is the directory you are looking for.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11

    knoppix 6.0.1 Remastering

    which is the appropiate mkisofs code to compress the KNOPPIX 6.0.1 image?
    I have tried without success:

    mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
    -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    mkisofs -input-charset ISO-8859-15 -no-split-symlink-components \
    -no-split-symlink-fields -R -l -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem"\
    -P "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -pad \
    /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    With the following code I have had limited success:

    mkisofs -input-charset ISO-8859-15 -no-split-symlink-components \
    -no-split-symlink-fields -R -l -U -V "KNOPPIX_FS" \
    -p "KNOPPIX www.knoppix-es.org" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes \
    -m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/opt \
    -m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/local \
    -m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/NX \
    -m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/src \
    -m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/doc \
    -m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/info \
    -m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/man \
    -m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/games \
    -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX


    The final compressed file is approximately 60MB lighter.
    Before start the compression it show errors on some files
    This is an example:
    Using X-Debian-Screen-Savi006.desktop for /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg/X-Debian-Screen-Saving-activate_screensaver_(previous).desktop (X-Debian-Screen-Saving-enable_xscreensaver.desktop)


    When create the live CD, the first change I notice is that not the background image of a writer
    will I have to use a partition etc4? When?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2

    Re: knoppix 6.0.1 Remastering

    Quote Originally Posted by fedemos
    which is the appropiate mkisofs code to compress the KNOPPIX 6.0.1 image?
    I have tried without success:

    mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
    -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    Before start the compression it show errors on some files
    This is an example:
    Using X-Debian-Screen-Savi006.desktop for /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg/X-Debian-Screen-Saving-activate_screensaver_(previous).desktop (X-Debian-Screen-Saving-enable_xscreensaver.desktop)
    I use the following command (more or less the command from the remastering howto) on my normal desktop machine (I use my desktop machine for the remastering process...):
    Code:
     mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" \
        -input-charset iso8859-15 \
        -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net"\
        -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -pad \
        -o knoppix.iso.$$ \
        source/KNOPPIX
    It shows the same messages for all filenames longer then 32 (31?) characters. But if I mount the cd image, the long file names are there. So I assume, mkisofs only informs about the usage of some Rock Ridge extensions for long file names and this is more an information or a warning then an error message. So far I have not seen any problem with the resulting real knoppix cd (the one after compression and second cd image generation).[/code]

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    The howto was wrote at the time of knoppix 3.4. It is ok for knoppix 5.11 and 5.31 but I believe there have been many changes in Knoppix 6 distribution.
    Would anyone like to volunteer writing an update relevant to the current version as I haven't had a chance to explore this yet? They could do directly on the wiki itself or PM it to me for posting. I would really appreciate it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton
    The howto was wrote at the time of knoppix 3.4. It is ok for knoppix 5.11 and 5.31 but I believe there have been many changes in Knoppix 6 distribution.
    Would anyone like to volunteer writing an update relevant to the current version as I haven't had a chance to explore this yet? They could do directly on the wiki itself or PM it to me for posting. I would really appreciate it.

    I'll have a go but it may take a few weeks as I'm pretty busy lately both at home and at work. Will check wiki in case someone else has updated then if not I'll pm the doc to you in html format as per original format.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11

    Remastering knoppix 6.0.1 for spanish language

    following zaphod remasterise knoppix 6.0.1 coments with the englinsh languaje knoppix.net and I have no problem, only in Nº 13 steep I have to change by:
    cd /mnt-system && find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p --parents '{}' /mnt/hda1/knx/master/ \;

    I want to remasterise knoppix 6.0.1 to add spanish languaje, because only brings english and german

    I made a precarius translate to spanish of files *.mo de ADRIANE and I got the most of the *.mo in spanish of Lxde and the rest of programs

    I paste in:
    /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/locale/es/LC_MENSSAGES/


    The problem is that I cant get knoppix start in spanish (knoppix lang=es) because when you start the menu, dialogues, and programs are in English

    After a lot of failiure attemps I decided paste the *.mo files in spanish to /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MENSSAGES/ directory
    I made a copy, restart the PC, wrote knoppix lang=de and Bingo!!! the programs and menu are in spanish and other things in german. I reboot the computer, put Adriane lang=de and bingo!!! Adriane is in spanish

    My question is: Kowns some body what packages I have to install or what files I have to modify for add spanish languaje to knoppix 6.0.1?

    finally: Zaphod, thanks for your prompt response, know that the message is an information or a warning and not a error, leaves me calmer

    greetings......

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10

    Re: Remastering knoppix 6.0.1 for spanish language

    I can not translate the main menu of LXDE. You can tell where, .mo file for this.

    Thanks in advance!

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11

    Re: Remastering knoppix 6.0.1 for spanish language

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas
    I can not translate the main menu of LXDE. You can tell where, .mo file for this.

    Thanks in advance!
    Hellow Nicholas, there are many ways to get the files *.mo

    1 You can download the LiveCD from lenny Lxde:
    h t t p :// cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0-live/
    h t t p :// cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0-live/i386/iso-cd/debian-live-500-i386-lxde-desktop.iso
    run it and take the *.mo files you need

    2 On this page you can find the *.po files
    h t t p :// w w w .debian.org/international/l10n/po/
    *The command to convert the files *.po to *.mo would be:
    msgfmt file_name.po > file_name.mo

    3 you can translate the files *.mo
    * The command to convert the files *. mo to *.po would be:
    msgunfmt file_name.mo < file_name.po

    Greetins .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HOWTO : Remastering with a custom KDE style ?
    By cbismuth in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 01:41 PM
  2. cardbus install problems and how to document
    By sluce in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 12:15 AM
  3. point to add to Remastering HowTo ?
    By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 08:02 PM
  4. berlios minicd remastering howto???
    By hanx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2003, 05:31 AM
  5. New KNOPPIX remastering HOWTO
    By eadz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-29-2003, 06:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$136.15



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$199.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) - picture

Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -

$60.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30