Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Problems with the Remastering Howto document

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7

    Re: knoppix 6.0.1 Remastering

    Quote Originally Posted by zaphod
    Quote Originally Posted by fedemos
    which is the appropiate mkisofs code to compress the KNOPPIX 6.0.1 image?
    I have tried without success:

    mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
    -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    Before start the compression it show errors on some files
    This is an example:
    Using X-Debian-Screen-Savi006.desktop for /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg/X-Debian-Screen-Saving-activate_screensaver_(previous).desktop (X-Debian-Screen-Saving-enable_xscreensaver.desktop)
    I use the following command (more or less the command from the remastering howto) on my normal desktop machine (I use my desktop machine for the remastering process...):
    Code:
     mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" \
        -input-charset iso8859-15 \
        -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net"\
        -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -pad \
        -o knoppix.iso.$$ \
        source/KNOPPIX
    It shows the same messages for all filenames longer then 32 (31?) characters. But if I mount the cd image, the long file names are there. So I assume, mkisofs only informs about the usage of some Rock Ridge extensions for long file names and this is more an information or a warning then an error message. So far I have not seen any problem with the resulting real knoppix cd (the one after compression and second cd image generation).[/code]
    Did anyone have success making the compressed Knoppix file? None of these seem to work in Knoppix 6. On Knoppix 5 this is the command I used and it worked.

    mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
    -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    On Knoppix 6 running this command creates a file that is 5mb smaller then the original Knoppix file from the cd. I am not updating Knoppix yet, so the file should be the same size I believe. I am just copying the original CD files and trying to build the bootable iso from it. I would like to see a working iso before I try to update anything. After the above command I create the ISO file and all seems well. The problem happens when I go to boot from the ISO. It starts to boot but errors out when looking for init.

    Anyone have any ideas?

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11

    Re: knoppix 6.0.1 Remastering

    hello I had a successful remastering following article:
    http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto
    This procedure is that I ran:

    # Open a console
    sudo -s
    mount -rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    mkdir /mnt/hda1/knx
    mkdir -p /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX
    mkdir -p /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    cd /mnt-system && find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p --parents '{}' /mnt/hda1/knx/master/ \;

    # Step 1 internet access (copy the three nameserver)
    nano /etc/resolv.conf
    CTRL + X for close

    # Setup the environment for chroot
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/sys
    chroot /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX

    # Step 2 internet access (paste the three nameserver)
    nano /etc/resolv.conf
    CTRL + o + ENTER for save
    CTRL + x for close

    # update and install
    apt-get update
    apt-get -t lenny install .......
    apt-get install .......

    # clear
    apt-get clean
    apt-get autoclean
    COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l |grep ^rc |awk '{print $2} ' | xargs dpkg -P
    deborphan
    deborphan | xargs apt-get -s -y remove
    deborphan | xargs apt-get -y remove

    # Step 3 internet access (remove the three nameserver)
    nano /etc/resolv.conf
    CTRL + o + ENTER for save
    CTRL + x for close

    # Step 1 the end
    history -c
    umount /dev /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/dev
    umount /proc /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/proc
    umount /sys /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/sys
    history -c
    CTRL + D

    # Step 1 the end (the single compression)
    rm -rf /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/.rr_moved
    mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
    -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    # Step 2 the end (the gib compression)
    mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
    -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs -L -1 - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX


    # Step 3 the end (create md5)
    cd /mnt/hda1/knx/master
    find -type f -not -name md5sums -not -name boot.cat -not -name isolinux.bin \
    -exec md5sum '{}' \; > KNOPPIX/md5sums

    # Step 4 the end (create an ISO image)
    mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
    -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
    -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7

    Re: knoppix 6.0.1 Remastering

    Quote Originally Posted by fedemos
    hello I had a successful remastering following article:
    http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto
    This procedure is that I ran:

    # Open a console
    sudo -s
    mount -rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    mkdir /mnt/hda1/knx
    mkdir -p /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX
    mkdir -p /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    cd /mnt-system && find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p --parents '{}' /mnt/hda1/knx/master/ \;

    # Step 1 internet access (copy the three nameserver)
    nano /etc/resolv.conf
    CTRL + X for close

    # Setup the environment for chroot
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/sys
    chroot /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX

    # Step 2 internet access (paste the three nameserver)
    nano /etc/resolv.conf
    CTRL + o + ENTER for save
    CTRL + x for close

    # update and install
    apt-get update
    apt-get -t lenny install .......
    apt-get install .......

    # clear
    apt-get clean
    apt-get autoclean
    COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l |grep ^rc |awk '{print $2} ' | xargs dpkg -P
    deborphan
    deborphan | xargs apt-get -s -y remove
    deborphan | xargs apt-get -y remove

    # Step 3 internet access (remove the three nameserver)
    nano /etc/resolv.conf
    CTRL + o + ENTER for save
    CTRL + x for close

    # Step 1 the end
    history -c
    umount /dev /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/dev
    umount /proc /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/proc
    umount /sys /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/sys
    history -c
    CTRL + D

    # Step 1 the end (the single compression)
    rm -rf /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/.rr_moved
    mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
    -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    # Step 2 the end (the gib compression)
    mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
    -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs -L -1 - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX


    # Step 3 the end (create md5)
    cd /mnt/hda1/knx/master
    find -type f -not -name md5sums -not -name boot.cat -not -name isolinux.bin \
    -exec md5sum '{}' \; > KNOPPIX/md5sums

    # Step 4 the end (create an ISO image)
    mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
    -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
    -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master
    Thanks fedemos! I will give this a try.

  4. #14
    I think you also need to do:

    Code:
    cp -ar /mnt-system/boot /mnt/hda1/knx/master/boot
    If you want to autorun scripts with LXDE, you have to

    create /etc/xdg/autostart/someentry.desktop containing:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Somename
    Comment=Scanner
    Type=Application
    Exec=/home/knoppix/somescript.py
    Terminal=false
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
    I also wanted to run a root mount script, which I did by creating another file in the same dir of somerootscript.desktop
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=somerootscript
    Comment=Somescript
    Type=Application
    Exec=/home/knoppix/rootscript.sh
    Terminal=false
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
    in /home/knoppix/rootscript.sh I put
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    sudo /pathtorootscript/rootscript.sh
    and that all worked. This took a ton of time to figure out, I hope it helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. HOWTO : Remastering with a custom KDE style ?
    By cbismuth in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 01:41 PM
  2. cardbus install problems and how to document
    By sluce in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 12:15 AM
  3. point to add to Remastering HowTo ?
    By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 08:02 PM
  4. berlios minicd remastering howto???
    By hanx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2003, 05:31 AM
  5. New KNOPPIX remastering HOWTO
    By eadz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-29-2003, 06:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga Commodore A500  - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage picture

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage

$200.00



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore Plus4 Computer CBM 264 Original Box Not Working Repair or Part G2U picture

Commodore Plus4 Computer CBM 264 Original Box Not Working Repair or Part G2U

$99.99



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 64 Vintage 64K Home Computer Personal Computer Boxed picture

Commodore 64 Vintage 64K Home Computer Personal Computer Boxed

$1000.00



Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS* picture

Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS*

$70.00



Abacus Software Commodore 128 C-128 Book Lot 8 BASIC 7.0 CP/M CAD Manuals picture

Abacus Software Commodore 128 C-128 Book Lot 8 BASIC 7.0 CP/M CAD Manuals

$500.00



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 64 Drive Alignment & Utility Diskette picture

Commodore 64 Drive Alignment & Utility Diskette

$9.99