-
Re: HDD Recovery Issue

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
I'm not at all clear what you mean by "protected" files. If you have some form of encryption enabled then you may not be able to recover these files, and you would likely be very upset if the encryption that you were using to protect files was easily bypassed by Knoppix, particularly if someone stole your computer and accessed your "protected" data with Knoppix.
Sorry I wasn't more clear, by protected I mean just the basic windows xp. I have one account which is an administrator one with a password nothing special. The files are of personal nature reports, music, etc stuff I sadly did not back-up.
What I did was remove the HDD which is SATA connected it to my hard drive dock and connect that WITH Knoppix on my laptop. Both the laptop and SATA drive are recognized and as explained before I gave it read and write access and don't understand why it does NOT let me copy.

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
2) Plug a FAT formatted flash drive into the dead system. Boot Knoppix. Find the desktop icon of the FAT partitioned flash drive and use the right click menu to make it writeable (exact choices vary slightly depending on Knoppix version). If you can't figure out how to make the drive writeable from the GUI, use the mount command from a shell, see man mount for details; that works just as well. Open the now writable flash drive and drag and drop the files that you want to save to it.
Attempted this as well with the same results, gave it writeable permission and when I would move the files I wanted from the drive it wouldn't allow it. And I was thoroughly confused. Maybe I was doing something wrong I'll double check and do it again.

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
c) Pull the hard drive out of the dead system and install it in another computer as a second drive. Move the files with Windows, no Knoppix needed.
Already attempted this on a vista and xp machine tried to take ownership of the files but was unsuccessful kept denying me access, and I'm unsure of what I was doing wrong.
I'm just lost I'll give everything another try and see if I didn't miss something. Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By Ixtab in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-25-2010, 09:42 PM
-
By Metallo in forum General Support
Replies: 18
Last Post: 05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
-
By zebraengine in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-06-2005, 05:54 AM
-
By McMahon in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 11:43 AM
-
By giacomix in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$44.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears
$99.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP
$127.00