-
Can't load Knoppix 5.0.1 LiveCD or DVD on Acer laptop
Hello, very new to Linux here
I want to run Knoppix on an Acer eMachine E520-2496 laptop because the installed Linpus Linux is command line only and I'm not remotely competent. I'm using a known good live CD but after it scans for USB/Firewire devices I get the following:
Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.
Additional builtin commands available:
cat mount umount
insmod rmmod lsmod
knoppix#
The CD runs on my Dell tower running win XP so I know the disk is good. The laptop has a 160GB SATA HD in two 80GB partitions. I changed the mode to IDE in the BIOS after the CD 'failed' under the default HD mode. That made no difference, although it did remove all the boot errors when I let Linpus load from the HD.
Can anyone suggest what may be stopping my live CD from loading on this laptop? I have 1GB of RAM so I don't believe memory is an issue. I want to give the computer to my son for his birthday on March 10 but he is also a hampered windows user so I need a GUI system.
Thanks for any help,
Tony
Similar Threads
-
By Stooge in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-07-2010, 06:20 PM
-
By alex76gr in forum Laptops
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-01-2009, 01:09 AM
-
By stevlev in forum Laptops
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-11-2007, 06:04 PM
-
By Igor in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-28-2007, 08:22 AM
-
By kdmiller in forum Laptops
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-03-2004, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs
$149.97

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75