Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: What is Knoppix-Adriane?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1

    What is Knoppix-Adriane?

    I have used Knoppix here and there but not on a regular basis. I wanted to download the latest Knoppix and saw a regular Knoppix and Knoppix-with-Adriane. What is the difference?

    Also, the last Knoppix I have downloaded was a DVD version (v 5.3.1). Now for the v6.0.1, I see only a CD choice. Does that mean there are less tools on the new version of Knoppix?

    Does the new version of Knoppix include zenmap?

    Thank you in advance for any info.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32
    I have used Knoppix here and there but not on a regular basis. I wanted to download the latest Knoppix and saw a regular Knoppix and Knoppix-with-Adriane. What is the difference?

    With Adriane is the first version

    Also, the last Knoppix I have downloaded was a DVD version (v 5.3.1). Now for the v6.0.1, I see only a CD choice. Does that mean there are less tools on the new version of Knoppix?

    Obviously

    Does the new version of Knoppix include zenmap?

    Not sure, download it and find out.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: What is Knoppix-Adriane?

    Quote Originally Posted by kleanchap
    I have used Knoppix here and there but not on a regular basis. I wanted to download the latest Knoppix and saw a regular Knoppix and Knoppix-with-Adriane. What is the difference?

    Also, the last Knoppix I have downloaded was a DVD version (v 5.3.1). Now for the v6.0.1, I see only a CD choice. Does that mean there are less tools on the new version of Knoppix?

    Does the new version of Knoppix include zenmap?

    Thank you in advance for any info.
    "Adriane Knoppix is a variation that is intended for blind and visually impaired people, which can be used entirely without vision oriented output devices. It was released in the third quarter of 2007 as a Live CD. Adriane Knoppix is named after Adriane Knopper, the wife of Klaus Knopper, the developer of Knoppix. Adriane has a visual impairment, and has been assisting Klaus with the development of the software.[8] The name Adriane is also an acronym for "Audio Desktop Reference Implementation And Networking Environment".

    Adriane Knoppix is intended not only for the blind but also for beginners who don’t know much about computers. It uses the SUSE-Blind-Linux (SBL) Screenreader with a phoneme generator and speech engine for normal output."

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4
    I am not visually impaired but I did find Adriane - Knoppix useful for typing in the dark. The only problem is that it may be awkward to use in a public place full of 'normal' people. It is hard to turn the sound off or down when booting up.

    Maybe knoppix should remain the default bootup unless, people expressly type 'adriane' when booting

    Rubyxx

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    29
    @ Rubyxx
    'adriane' is the default 'cos it's evident that the easier option must be for the visually impaired user. Besides typing 'knoppix' at boot (I think 'F2' should stop the automatic booting..not sure) one can pick #9 'shell' in the menu and type 'startx'.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    6

    What is the status ?

    I am in the process of testing this for use in a blind center in the Philadelphia suburbs and was wondering what the status of new releases is. I had a bunch of issues which were not found anywhere on the internet,, occasionally when run on pentium4 intel hardware it would crash out and go to a "job control turned off" error. I havent tested the beta in about a week and was wondering if v1.1beta has been improved upon yet.
    thanks

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    6

    any updates since May 2009?

    I am still waiting to see the holes patched up such as the ability to read web text in this distro. i have a blind center waiting on my approval with baited breath.
    anyone heard anything?

    thanks!
    bob

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 6.2 CD ISO Image Without Adriane
    By johnny5 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-27-2009, 02:49 PM
  2. customizing knoppix adriane, need advice
    By knoppix000019 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 01:29 AM
  3. [solved] Knoppix Adriane on USB
    By vincent temmerman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
  4. booting knoppix 6.1 adriane
    By mastermind in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 12:57 PM
  5. Customizing ADRIANE / knoppix
    By AngryNAMEhasn'tbeentaken in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99