Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: K-menu 'KNOPPIX'

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2

    K-menu 'KNOPPIX'

    After installing KNOPPIX Rev3.2 2003 05-16 to the hard drive the K-
    MENU "KNOPPIX->Network/Internet->Config Network is not available any more.
    What can I do to configure nework and printer?

    Thank you, Stephen! Do you know if the next Rev. 3.2........20 has solved this issue?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: K-menu 'KNOPPIX'

    Quote Originally Posted by jex
    After installing KNOPPIX Rev3.2 2003 05-16 to the hard drive the K-
    MENU "KNOPPIX->Network/Internet->Config Network is not available any more.
    What can I do to configure nework and printer?
    Open a root console and netcardconfig for the net card the files if you want to do it manually /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf printer config is in the control center -> pheripherals -> printers.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northridge, California
    Posts
    48

    commandline

    there is also the commandline utility 'netcardconfig' , the printer and cups and be configured in the command center.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: commandline

    Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx
    there is also the commandline utility 'netcardconfig' ,
    That is exactly what Stephen was referring to. The menu is nothing more than a link to netcardconfig as are all menu items. This is true of wimpdoze as well. Desktop icons- same thing.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: K-menu 'KNOPPIX'

    Quote Originally Posted by jex
    Thank you, Stephen! Do you know if the next Rev. 3.2........20 has solved this issue?
    Dude- it's not considered an issue - it's a feature. Fret not- you'll unlearn those nasty windows habits in no time!

    But- haven't you ever added something to the menu in windows before?!?!? It's no different here.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix Hd- Install

    Thank you, rickenbacherus (May I call you Rick??)
    You are wright, I better change my habits and learn the Linux from scratch! Which is actually not so easy for my 65-year old brain, but I think ist more fun too. I plan to install the "Debian distribution", and I thought it's kind of an easyer way to learn about it.
    What I learned about Windows seems to be not enough, because I always used those graphic interfasces - I know how the files and directories are called and how to access them, but from linux I don't know.
    Jex

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Knoppix Hd- Install

    Quote Originally Posted by jex
    Thank you, rickenbacherus (May I call you Rick??)
    You are wright, I better change my habits and learn the Linux from scratch!
    Yes - learning Linux is a much better endeavor than leaning a desktop environment. Eventually you won't have a nice GUI desktop- just you and the CLI. Look here. Don't get me wrong, I certainly use a desktop but usually only for casual things. If I want to get something done give me the CLI!

    Which is actually not so easy for my 65-year old brain, but I think ist more fun too. I plan to install the "Debian distribution", and I thought it's kind of an easyer way to learn about it.
    That's what we want to see! If you learn Linux then it will be very easy to use virtually any distro.

    What I learned about Windows seems to be not enough, because I always used those graphic interfasces - I know how the files and directories are called and how to access them, but from linux I don't know.
    Jex
    Unfortunately M$ hasn't put much stock into huuman intelligence and they have "dumbed it down" so that anyone can use a pc. Of course that is a huge reason why so many people use them today but it's also a hinderance in that so many people have no idea what's really going on.

    Start launching apps from a terminal and you'll find yourself watching the term just to see what that app is really doing behind the scenes. The first time someone mentioned that "the 'netcardconfig' is gone from the menu" my response was- "It was in the menu?" (yes-old habits die hard for Linux users too) :P

Similar Threads

  1. Lost KNOPPIX menu
    By fstephens in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 07:57 AM
  2. KDE 'KNOPPIX' menu
    By zroiy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 09:00 AM
  3. Knoppix 3.3 will not shutdown from KDE menu
    By timread in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 05:35 AM
  4. KNOPPIX image on K menu
    By wk in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2003, 01:17 PM
  5. KNOPPIX menu in wmaker???
    By jensen in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 07:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00