Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-DE....Installation Failure

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset [UK]
    Posts
    1

    KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-DE....Installation Failure

    Good Afternoon,


    Having become annoyed with the Microsoft Buisness Plan [i.e. Producing a continual stream of Windows operating system, in which the end-user has to keep purchasing, if on-going support is required]. I thought I would give Linux a try. Easy I thought, Look around, find a good distribution, download iso, burn to DVD and install - Easy, well not quite.

    Having burned the DVD, I selected install to Hard drive [graphical & text mode]. After about 10 minutes into the installation process the computer just hangs - Blinking cursor and that the lot. When I undertook the installation process in text mode, a line just prior the point on freeze is highlighted in red. Unfortunatly it is not very informative.

    * Failed to load necessary Drivers

    That all, I do not know what drivers it is attempting to load. I, thinking it was a DVD burn issue

    1. Burnt original download iso to DVD a second time - Still failed at the same point
    2. Downloaded a new copy of the DVD iso and transferred it to DVD for the 3rd time - Again the installation failed at the same point

    I appear to be missing some fundemental understanding of the installation process. Would anyone care to enlighted me ?

    Thank you

    Kind Regards

    Paul

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA & Mexico
    Posts
    2
    My first step is to run the "check sum" program to see if I downloaded the iso file correctly (before burning to CD or DVD). I verified a good download by running

    md5sum -c KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-EN.iso.md5

    in a terminal on the computer to which I downloaded both the iso (main Knoppix file) and its check sum file (with the ".md5" appended). Verified my downloaded iso file was "OK" as the terminal output assured. Doing this a second time, but to the iso burned to cd or dvd, should tell you if the transfer from computer hard drive to CD/DVD is "OK" as well -- thus saving you time and money burning CDs/DVDs on the possibility they are not OK.

    I am learning linux as well, and sometimes the geekspeak is a barrier. You may already know all of this -- in which case this post is to help others along as I have been helped.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA & Mexico
    Posts
    2
    I also note that your iso file is the "DE" or German version. Being in the UK, perhaps the "EN" version may help you more.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix_V6.2.1, First impressions
    By Capricorny in forum News
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 05:09 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 06:32 AM
  3. KNOPPIX_V6.2
    By paradocs in forum News
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
  4. Install "KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-EN.iso" - Hel
    By Valkyrie77 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 12:49 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 12:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DKB MegAChip for Amiga 2000/500 2MB Chip Ram expansion with 8375 Agnus Tested picture

DKB MegAChip for Amiga 2000/500 2MB Chip Ram expansion with 8375 Agnus Tested

$285.00



Framethrower, Amiga HDMI output via a PiStorm A500 A2000 picture

Framethrower, Amiga HDMI output via a PiStorm A500 A2000

$40.00



Commodore Amiga 1200 Keyboard,  Caps Lock LED Faulty TESTED picture

Commodore Amiga 1200 Keyboard, Caps Lock LED Faulty TESTED

$99.99



Commodore Amiga A1200 Vintage Computer Power Supply Mouse Bundle - Tested picture

Commodore Amiga A1200 Vintage Computer Power Supply Mouse Bundle - Tested

$999.99



Commodore Amiga 1010 External 3.5” Floppy Drive A500 A1000 A2000 • Untested  picture

Commodore Amiga 1010 External 3.5” Floppy Drive A500 A1000 A2000 • Untested

$64.99



Commodore Amiga 2000HD Vintage Personal Computer A2000 picture

Commodore Amiga 2000HD Vintage Personal Computer A2000

$599.99



Alegra 512KB Fast RAM Side Expansion for Amiga 1000, Tested, Working picture

Alegra 512KB Fast RAM Side Expansion for Amiga 1000, Tested, Working

$149.00



ECS SUPER DENISE CSG 390433-02 8373R4PD for Commodore Amiga 500 2000 2500 3000 picture

ECS SUPER DENISE CSG 390433-02 8373R4PD for Commodore Amiga 500 2000 2500 3000

$127.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00