The answer seems to be to insert the knoppix.sh script into the minirt.gz. Then it executes just fine. I do not see that step anywhere in the various instructions, though.
Rich
I am remastering 5.1.1 to a USB drive so that it boots into text mode (via inittab), has a custom boot graphic and message, and has a password for ssh access; those changes work just fine.
However, trying to mount a second partition and start sshd on boot (/usr/sbin/sshstart) fails. I have tried several suggestions from this and other forums. A shell script (/start) that does this works manually. Adding a line to /etc/rc.local (which exists) to call this script (/start) doesn't make it execute on boot. Adding a cron job with @reboot and specifying the script (/start) doesn't work. Copying the script itself to KNOPPIX/linux.sh or to /etc/init.d/local.sh doesn't work.
Is this something you have to do in minitrt.gz? Other suggestions?
Rich
The answer seems to be to insert the knoppix.sh script into the minirt.gz. Then it executes just fine. I do not see that step anywhere in the various instructions, though.
Rich
As you're starting at init 2 (text mode)
add another start script for your commands at /etc/rc2.d/
Call is S99start_ssh
or similar and change its permissions to be executable.
Hopefully this should work.
That finally did the trick. None of the other attempts were completely successful, apparently because not enough of the system initialization had occurred (linuxrc, knoppix.sh, rc.local. isolinux.cfg). I was surprised because rc.local didn't work, but adding a link rc2.d and rc3.d to a script in init.d worked just fine. I can mount a partition and reconfigure the nic as needed. Thanks for the help! Rich

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$288.19
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98
(LOT OF 72) KINGSTON 8GB RAM 1Rx8 PC4-2400R DDR4 Memory
$2000.99
1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM
$320.00
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99