-
Grub and MBR
Hi there Hal8000. You are a pal and no mistake.Well I tried the code you sent me, but it seems like the Apt-get command does not work when you are using the Knoppix 'live' cd. Seems It does work,...... but only when you have it installed to the Hard Drive. It works in Debian okay, but I no longer had Debian. Did I? Groan!
Well that wiped the grin off my face for a while, but then I started looking deeper into the Knoppix Hacks and found the following. Sudo install-mbr /dev/hda The outcome was that it took Grub right out of the MBR and .......would you believe it......never ripped up the MBR. Cor! That was a relief. I had made a backup of it just in case.
So now I have my win XP back in shape except for a couple of minor glitches, which I got rid of by doing a system Restore to an earlier point. But I still do not have Debian on my hard drive. Seems I am going to have to do some research, because I partitioned the drive okay. Ahem! Sort of! Only every time Debian booted it kept telling me that I had not made a swap file. I had, but obviously not right.
The mysterious thing is that it still booted up great. I made a right muck of it somewhere though because although I gave a password that I was familiar with (Debian sugested I use my first name for a user name) it would never recognise that password and I couldn't get into it to sort it out. Dratt!
Yeh well! Guess it is back to the learning curve for this old guy. Must dig into the mysteries of Debian Partions. Guess I am rambling Guy's. Sorry about that. Thanks again. What would I do without you? Regards Grandad Walt.
Similar Threads
-
By tenlientl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-02-2005, 08:23 PM
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 11-04-2004, 07:31 PM
-
By Neil Young & Crazy Ho in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-14-2004, 07:05 AM
-
By dantay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-16-2004, 02:06 PM
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-10-2003, 04:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray
$356.80

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$220.36

Lenovo ThinkPad T470 Intel Core i5-7300U 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Touchscreen Win 11
$199.00