Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Reading data from USB attached SATA drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas USA
    Posts
    3

    Reading data from USB attached SATA drive

    Hi everyone. Let me first state that I LOVE Knoppix Live CD 6.0.1! It's fast and very easy to use. I also really like this forum and all the great help you folks are providing. I burnt a copy to CD, booted it and it came right up with no problems really.

    Ok, before I ask my question, I should tell you my experience level. I have been involved with computers (every kind) for over 35 years (yes, I am old fart). I have some experience with Linux (many variants, including RedHat Suse, and AIX), SunOS, Windows (every version), and I am currently a beta tester for Microsoft. Most of my experience is with Windows based systems. My official job with a large company is network related. I haven't played with Linux in a long while but I understand the fundamentals and most commands.

    Now to my question. I have read the FAQ's and performed many searches on this forum, but alas, I have not found the answer to my direct question. The question is "How do I mount an external USB attached harddrive in Live CD so that I can read the data off it and copy the data to my internal NTFS hard drive on the computer?" What I am attempting is to recover data from a SATA 500GB drive formatted by Linux which was taken out of a failed NAS device (Lacie 1TB NAS, the controller card went bad). The drive is working fine and I can see the ext3 partitions on it using a wide variety of tools (such as explore2fs, DiskInternal Linux Reader, ex2IFS, various Partition Managers, etc.). I can read the contents of the extended partition (5 logical disks) but I can't read the primary partition on the drive (which is where all my precious memories are stored). It shows unfomatted. The drive in question is attached to a USB port using an Apricorn DriveWire adapter. So, it dawned on me that I need to read the primary partition using Linux. That's where Knoppix Live CD comes into the picture.

    When the Knoppix Live CD boots, I see the file structure of the CD and the file structure of the computer's internal 250GB PATA drive with Windows XP on it. I just can't see the USB attached storage.

    I'm sorry far the verboseness of this topic but I'm just that way.
    PS. I have screenshots of the partitions if needed.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas USA
    Posts
    3
    I guess no one is interested in helping me. It's been over a week since I posted.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas USA
    Posts
    3
    *Bump* Hello, can someone point me in the right direction please?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Reading data from USB attached SATA drive

    Quote Originally Posted by wguimb
    ......and copy the data to my internal NTFS hard drive...
    Quote Originally Posted by wguimb
    *Bump* Hello, can someone point me in the right direction please?
    It is not safe to write to NTFS with Knoppix.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you wish you could just try seeing what the disk is called and mount it.
    to see what it is called, attach it AFTER boot and then let it be for a while (2-3min max)
    now type
    Code:
    dmesg
    the last entry with something like sda, sdb... folowed by a number is your disk and its partitions.
    say the disk is called /dev/sda and the partition is /dev/sda1
    now you type
    Code:
    mount /mnt/sda1
    or
    Code:
    mount /media/sda1
    this should allow reading of the disk, the hard part is writing , this as few dare write to NTFS as it may corrupt entire disk.
    if it was me and no file was above 3.9Gig i would use a FAT32 filesystem (perhaps on another USB disk?) and copy files there, that would put them somewhere accessible for Windows

    here is a link with some more
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Rescue_FAQ

Similar Threads

  1. Error Message when reading Hard Drive
    By cmj33875 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 01:31 AM
  2. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  3. Trying to pull data off my SATA drive to my IDE..
    By bluedevlx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 07:52 PM
  4. Sata DVD drive
    By lbenn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 02:44 AM
  5. System hangs during boot with USB flash drive attached
    By farcha in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 10:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot

$280.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99