Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Knoppix on USB flash memory

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix on USB flash memory

    I have noticed that now it is possible to get USB flash memory up to 1 Gb.

    Although it would be very very expensive at the moment, is it technically feasible to boot Knoppix from an external USB flash memory?

    Is USB 2.0 flash memory speed fast enough, and would it be faster than from CD-ROM?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    1x CD is 150KB/s so 50x would be 7.5MB/s, USB 2.0 is 480(?) Mb/s or 60MB/s. Putting overhead aside and assume the flash can reach that speed, yes. However, none of the off-the-shelf flash can have that speed. It would be at best comparable but I guess in general slower if the claim of 48x CD is real(that I have no idea).

    BTW, I am thinking along the same line but instead of 1GB, I am aiming at the 256M CF which is very cheap nowadays. A trim down KNOPPIX can fit into it and there would still be some space for persistent home. The only problem is machine supporting USB booting is still not the majority.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Here are a few links to consider the speed of cf as well as mmc and sd cards.

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/
    http://www.davespda.com/hardware/expansion/cfmmcsd.htm
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...952374-5295339

    The general concensus seems to be that cf is the fastest of these three media, but that even it is not as fast as a cd.

    Getting Knoppix to run off of this media should be possible as long as your bios supports booting from usb. However as some of the posts at knoppix.net indicate you will have to tweak things because Knoppix is set up by defalut to expect to see itself mounted on a cd.

    What's interesting about this approach is not so much the speed of CD's vs the speed of CF cards but rather the fact that you can write to a CF card.

    If you do intend to write to it then you will either need to shrink Knoppix, or get a really big CF card (3GB is the largest I've seen) since Knoppix is compressed.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    55
    It would be at best comparable but I guess in general slower if the claim of 48x CD is real(that I have no idea).
    48X claim is only on the edge of the disc. Also, at less than a dollor, a cd is a lot cheaper than flash ram.

    You could look at some of the lighter remasters, copy the cloop compressed file, then boot via a bootfloppy (if the floppy searches the flashram, I don't know), and see if it works.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2
    [quote="aay"]
    > However as some of the posts at knoppix.net indicate you >will have to tweak things because Knoppix is set up by >defalut to expect to see itself mounted on a cd.

    I dont think so. Knoppix tries to boot any /KNOPPIX directoty on a SCSI mountable drive.

    --
    Niels

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by reub2000
    It would be at best comparable but I guess in general slower if the claim of 48x CD is real(that I have no idea).
    48X claim is only on the edge of the disc. Also, at less than a dollor, a cd is a lot cheaper than flash ram.

    You could look at some of the lighter remasters, copy the cloop compressed file, then boot via a bootfloppy (if the floppy searches the flashram, I don't know), and see if it works.
    While it's true that a CD is cheaper, I can build a computer with *no* moving parts once the CD is transferred to compact flash. Further, the power consumption of a laser is higher.

    There's a $600 computer complete with case that is Linux friendly and for $30 you can purchase a CF reader that plugs into the IDE adapter on the motherboard. You only cost then is the CF itself. While expensive, I can run it all day with very little power. Of course I can do this with any version of Linux. An install version of Knoppix would be great for this.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1
    I have had this dream for a while myself. Has anyone been able to find substancial data on how many bios's these days support USB booting? I'd love to have a 256Mb keychain drive with a bootloader and some small versions of livecds for different hardware (x86/PPC/Sparc)

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    1x CD is 150KB/s so 50x would be 7.5MB/s, USB 2.0 is 480(?) Mb/s or 60MB/s. Putting overhead aside and assume the flash can reach that speed, yes. However, none of the off-the-shelf flash can have that speed. It would be at best comparable but I guess in general slower if the claim of 48x CD is real(that I have no idea).

    BTW, I am thinking along the same line but instead of 1GB, I am aiming at the 256M CF which is very cheap nowadays. A trim down KNOPPIX can fit into it and there would still be some space for persistent home. The only problem is machine supporting USB booting is still not the majority.
    A typical Flash disk speed is about 2-3x USB 1.1. So you are talking about 1 MB/s for USB 1.1 flash disks and no more than 2-3 MB/s for USB 2.0 flash disks.

    However, many people have already made USB flash disk bootable Linuxes, from 16 MB and up. Devices above 256 MB costs more than the size increase.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by drboo
    I have had this dream for a while myself. Has anyone been able to find substancial data on how many bios's these days support USB booting? I'd love to have a 256Mb keychain drive with a bootloader and some small versions of livecds for different hardware (x86/PPC/Sparc)
    Only the modern motherboards supports this. If you take an average hobbyist computer, I'd bet it doesn't support it. If you want to build computers with this function, you can easily find motherboards today.

    Don't build a distribution that uses the USB disk for frequent writing. Flash devices supports about 1 000 000 write cycles during their lifetime. This may sound much but in reality is very little. If your OS runs from the USB like a HD, you will burn out the USB flash disk quickly. So stick to only writing few times, like saving configs etc. Use RAM disks for runtime info.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by zhrinze
    Quote Originally Posted by reub2000
    It would be at best comparable but I guess in general slower if the claim of 48x CD is real(that I have no idea).
    48X claim is only on the edge of the disc. Also, at less than a dollor, a cd is a lot cheaper than flash ram.

    You could look at some of the lighter remasters, copy the cloop compressed file, then boot via a bootfloppy (if the floppy searches the flashram, I don't know), and see if it works.
    While it's true that a CD is cheaper, I can build a computer with *no* moving parts once the CD is transferred to compact flash. Further, the power consumption of a laser is higher.

    There's a $600 computer complete with case that is Linux friendly and for $30 you can purchase a CF reader that plugs into the IDE adapter on the motherboard. You only cost then is the CF itself. While expensive, I can run it all day with very little power. Of course I can do this with any version of Linux. An install version of Knoppix would be great for this.
    No moving parts? What about a cpu and psu fan? And maybe a northbridge fab?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Install to Compact Flash option like Flash Puppy
    By monckywrench in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
  2. Knoppix from flash memory
    By gosain_sanjay in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 05:13 PM
  3. Life Expectancy of Flash Memory Sticks
    By Bothersome in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 02:20 AM
  4. usb flash memory and printer configuration
    By fhatuwani in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 08:00 PM
  5. USB flash memory defying me!
    By jpmierau in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 09:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore Amiga 1000 Personal Computer With Original Monitor and Speakers picture

Commodore Amiga 1000 Personal Computer With Original Monitor and Speakers

$1352.99



Commodore 1541 Newtronics 5.25

Commodore 1541 Newtronics 5.25" Disk Drive - Tested and Working for Commodore 64

$64.00



Commodore 64C, Clean, tested and working (SN CA1604583).  Box does not match SN. picture

Commodore 64C, Clean, tested and working (SN CA1604583). Box does not match SN.

$110.00



Commodore 1351 Mouse for Commodore 64/64C/128 w/ Box, Manuals, & Utility Disk picture

Commodore 1351 Mouse for Commodore 64/64C/128 w/ Box, Manuals, & Utility Disk

$199.99



Commodore Amiga 1010 External 3.5” Floppy Drive A500 A1000 A2000 • Untested  picture

Commodore Amiga 1010 External 3.5” Floppy Drive A500 A1000 A2000 • Untested

$74.99



Commodore 1581 Floppy Disk Drive w/ Power Supply, Cable & Disks picture

Commodore 1581 Floppy Disk Drive w/ Power Supply, Cable & Disks

$300.00



CMD Reproduction GFD-4000 Disk Drive for Commodore 64 C64 C128 picture

CMD Reproduction GFD-4000 Disk Drive for Commodore 64 C64 C128

$500.00



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 64 Keyboard only, clean, tested and working (SN P01188869) picture

Commodore 64 Keyboard only, clean, tested and working (SN P01188869)

$120.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99