Quote Originally Posted by Zentesis
In my opinion it’s possible.
I have a Pen Stick of 256Mb. The Knoppix lite have a 208Mb. The “only problem“ is that we find a booteable floppy that it allow boot with the Pen Knoppix.
Anybody know anyone?
Is true the problem of write 1 million times but the advantage will be enormous.
You imagine all the students that in theirs colleges or universities don’t have own theirs computer. All owns configurations (desktop, mozilla, etc.) go with them. But no only the students, the cybercoffee or airport terminals will have a USB connect and you have your computer in your pocket.
The advantages for the administrator is clear, because how the computer don’t have a hard disk, the people don’t break the system.
The second requirement is a post it in the monitor whit your own IP and the gateway.
That is my vision too and not just student but my view about future computing(like phone booth on the street with my computer(the hd/CF) in my pocket).

As for a boot floppy for usb, assume the support for usb reader/drive is getting better, it is pretty easy. just change the miniroot.gz to include usbcore.o, usb-storage.o usb-ohci/usb-uhci and load them in the linuxrc script before KNOPPIX do the 'where am I scanning'. need to remove some of those scsi driver though as the space on the floppy image is tight.

As for the limited writes for CF, just use the current KNOPPIX idea of everything is in RAM and once I am done. rsync it back to the flash and pull it from the computer and go(well remember to umount to flush everything). Even with 300,000 write cycle, I can do it 10 times each day for 10 years. For the paranoid, start a cron job to do it automatically every 20 minutes so even I work on the computer for 8 hours a day, it is 24 writes, still good for 5 years use and at worse I lose 20 minutes of work(same can happen on a standard desktop).