Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix 5.3.1 - Onboard Realtek (LAN) detection/initializati

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10

    Knoppix 5.3.1 - Onboard Realtek (LAN) detection/initializati

    I have a working MS Windows hardware system. Networking connection is as below:
    PC (onboard Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+) --> Ethernet cable --> one of the 4 LAN ports of the D-link DIR665 router --> Ethernet cable from WLAN port of D-link 665 to the WLAN port of the cable modem which connects to the ISP).

    I have never been serious about Linux in the past and knows very little about Linux. I have wanted to give Linux/Knoppix 5.3.1 a try 6 months back but never has happen until two (2) weeks back.

    I took out the DVD purchased 6 months ago, immediately I booted the working hardware system with it. The very first thing I did was starting up iceweasel web browser hoping to enjoy internet surfing. To my disappointment, system failed to access outside world. To this regard, I had performed the followings:
    1. Checking the LAN port at PC end found the little green and amber light of the LAN port were not ON at all. This revealed the port has not been enabled, activated or is mal-function. Reboot the hardware system with Windows proved the PC LAN port is functioning (eliminating problem caused by faulty hardware).
    2. I have performed various commands (suggestions from Knoppix Forum on similar problem) like Dmesg, Lsmod, lspci, ifconfig –a…., all these commands suggested eth0 is existed and driver 8139t00 is also present. The only trouble is that Netcardconfig on eth0 failed to receive DHCP response every time it is run.
    3. Disconcerning the network problem, I was able to installed Knoppix 5.3.1 onto HDD with “knoppix-installer” command successfully. Of course, I was eager to try out the HDD environment but only found the same problem.

    I have been googling the last one week hoping to find solution(s) on above but failed. In my humble opinion, Knoppix 5.3.1 (which I have) at system BOOTING is:
    1. able to detect Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (display at boot time)
    2. but not able to “INITIALIZE” (or “ACTIVATE”) the LAN port
    - Since the hardware is not properly INITIALIZED, therefore, NETCARDCONFIG or like commands will have no
    effect on the hardware (LAN port).

    Lastly, to ensure DVD contents are intact , I have boot the DVD with "knoppix testdvd" cheat code but found checksum on all software are matched with release base.f

    I hope someone is knowledgeable to guide me out of this fraustration.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Julian

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10
    Above problem solved.
    Please refer to latest few mails of below thread.


    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29302

    Thanks and Regards,
    Julian Chan

Similar Threads

  1. AC 97 onboard sound w/ Knoppix 3.7 (help plz)
    By jtvision in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 01:54 PM
  2. Help on Knoppix 3.4 detecting onboard LAN
    By phinn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 09:26 AM
  3. Knoppix 3.6 and Intel PRO/100 VE Onboard NIC
    By Traffic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 03:05 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 12:54 AM
  5. OnBoard sound - Realtek AC97 ALC650 not recognized
    By Roger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 06:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys

$549.95