Fixed my own problem, for some reason after creating the persistent file, there was not ntfs mount driver. ran this in root terminal:
mkdir /mnt/c
ntfsmount /dev/sda1 /mnt/c
Learn something new everyday.
I've recently created a live cd of knoppix 6 and installed to a 2GB SD media card. So far everything has worked just about flawlessly, except when I make it persistent, for some reason I can no longer access my local HDD; it gives me the err msg "org.freedesktop.hal.device.volume.unknownfail ure" unable to mount device, after I reboot. It does not give this error with the live disk or if I don't create a save file. I've gone through some authorization but still have not had any luck. halp plz![]()
Fixed my own problem, for some reason after creating the persistent file, there was not ntfs mount driver. ran this in root terminal:
mkdir /mnt/c
ntfsmount /dev/sda1 /mnt/c
Learn something new everyday.
As a relative novice to Knoppix, I've struggled for days to get earlier versions to boot properly off a USB Stick. Having come across 6.01 yesterday, I thought I had at last found an answer.
However, I've had exactly the same problem as you, but having tried your remedy, I get the following when I type in the second line.
Access is denied because the NTFS volume is already opened. The volume maybe already mounted, or another software may use it which could be identified for example by the help of the "fuser" command. You can use force option to avoid this check, but this is not recommended and may lead to date corruption. Mount Failed.
Has anyone any ideas please?
I get this err msg after I've mounted the local hdd, then shut down or reboot without using the umount command; what works for me is booting to the hdd 2 times, then remounting using ntfsmount.
Also, make sure you are selecting the correct device from /dev, if you're selecting the usb stick that is running knoppix 6, I believe it will give you that err msg.
Hope this helps.
also, I'm trying to make a script that will mount and unmount when you need instead of putting in the command every time, will post that when I get it correct![]()
Not sure exactly what you mean, but using PCMan File Manager, I tried right clicking on the HDD to unmount it prior to re-booting, but it stays the same.
If I set up the USB stick during boot up to have a segment to store a persistent image, I can not then access the HDD. So I then have to wipe the USB stick, boot up using a CD, edit the Syslinux.cfg file to replace lang=eng with lang-uk (to set up the correct keyboard for my laptop) and then "Install KNOPPIX to a flash disk" again.
I just booted up with 6.0.1 and got the same message as the original poster.
Before I go to the LX terminal (root terminal) and initialize the hard drive per instructions...
1) I wanted to check and make sure I wouldn't somehow damage my XP files on the drive.
2) I'm pretty sure I have a boot virus as my hard drive is practically new. I got the blue SoD once before my laptop stopped booting.
3) My objective is to diagnose a boot problem on my PC and hopefully recover some files I need from it.
I have threatened to leave the Gates Plan on numerous occasions. This may be the last straw.
Thanks in advance.
b.line
Sorry for the late response.Originally Posted by r917g
Well from what I've read of your issue, you and I don't have exactly the same problem. I'm not sure what your setup was, but my hdd has xp installed and after creating a persistent file I could no longer access the files from that ntfs partition. However, if your other partition is not formatted to NTFS then I'm not sure if ntfsmount would work for you (I could be wrong).
You could try simply:
Just make sure you unmount the device by unmounting from pcman or:Code:$su root $mkdir /mnt/"name_of_mount" (no quotes) $mount /dev/"local_hdd" /mnt/"name_of_mount"(for me it was sda1, also no quotes)
Hope this helpsCode:$umount /mnt/"name_of_mount"![]()
1) Mounting your HDD shouldn't have any affect on your XP files, just make sure you properly unmount it before rebooting (you may get a disk check type thing if you forget to unmount. But, I've forgotten to unmount plenty of times and have had no problems getting into XP afterwards)Originally Posted by b.line
2)If you're getting BSOD and boot issue's I'd recommend testing some hardware, IE: memory/harddrive.
3)One of the many beauties of Knoppix is if you can mount the device and access the files, you can recover what you need![]()

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99
HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00
Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99
AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99
DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99
SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99