-
Junior Member
registered user
5.3.1 heavily remastered + 18 kernels (2.6.12-28)
Hi peoples. I'm pretty close to finishing a 5.3.1 heavily remastered featuring 17 extra kernels besides the original 2.6.24.4. HAL working OK, all kernels working with aufs and cloop and ALSA 1.0.17 (hm, ALSA except 2.6.14
), lots of packages added, lots of -dev packages also added, looks better anyway. Electronics stuff added, like some 8 different gEDA versions (compiled) and Xcircuit and lots of others, also Firefox 2 and 3, VLC 0.9.8 (compiled), peazip and p7zip, mplayer compiled and more.
In this thread I created I intend to put everything I know and experimented: how to remaster a 5.3.1 starting from the original ISO, details about new kernel compilation, details and tricks about the scripts in knoppix (5.3.1) and where to change things if you want to make things work etc. etc. etc.
My personal approach to remastering (at least for now) is to make it a direct competitor and efficient replacement of Windblows. So I will focus especially on a remaster with all the X features required for an easy to use graphical operating system.
As I go on, I will probably edit this first post here and insert some table of contents, which will take you directly to what you're looking for
Also I think it would be best if nobody else would post here, not for a while anyway, until I get the whole thing started properly. Well, of course this is at your choice, it's not a request but rather a preference.
I'm starting with kernels, by giving example scripts and scripts that you can test directly under the Live Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD running on a machine with enough RAM for experimenting directly on the ramdisk.
DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY ADDRESSED TO LINUX BEGINNERS, THOSE WHO CANNOT EASILY FIND THEIR WAY AROUND LINUX.
IF YOU ARE AN EXPERT, PLEASE DON'T LAUGH AT THIS POST. I WROTE ALL THE FOLLOWING SO THAT AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE
CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING. IF YOU FIND THIS POST RETARDED, PLEASE CHANGE THE WEB ADDRESS OR WATCH SOME TV.
I'M NOT A LINUX EXPERT MYSELF, THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE TRIED AND GONE THROUGH, BUT...
LIFE IS SHORT!!
Similar Threads
-
By cara in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-14-2005, 11:13 PM
-
By wsun013 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-19-2005, 07:20 AM
-
By rainerh in forum German Forum
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-20-2005, 10:02 PM
-
By bobalex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
-
By fearlessrogue in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-30-2003, 12:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER
$39.99

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

20 PCS 3D Printer Filament Storage Bags Vacuum Storage Bags Kit 3D Printer
$50.07

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67